Thread: help with dlls?

help with dlls?

First off hello to all user's this is my first thread..I was curious if anyone has any knowledge on dll files for gaming.I run a multiplayer gaming site for halflife. I am using bits and pieces of all different kinds of mods for it.one the mods has a welcome players screen when they connect
    now the screen cant be removed but I wanted to remove the welcome saying..Problem is there is a file called greetings.ini its executed when the server starts but the saying is not in it I know what file its in but cant find it, even with a hex editor ..And im not trying to steal anything Im just a noob programer/server admin, trying to learn can anyone help me.. thanks...
    pZargs

AO French Antique News Whore
    I'm confused with your post.. Ini file can usually be open with notepad and edit. Can you write this again?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

No im not having trouble with the ini style of file but my server allows me to put any kind of writing or saying in that file.but When I start my server Im seeing other wording in the startup screen.I know the file its in , its a dll file I have tried searching for wording with a hex editor and I can't seem to find it.I don't thinks it encrypted but I guess what im asking is how would I know?
    Becuase when people join my server they will see the words "welcome players "on there screen but I want to remove it. my server execs the .ini file but the wording ive been tyring to get rid is not in the .ini its in the dll file...Hope this helps more???
    pZargs

You're trying to find a needle in a field full of haystacks...and no 2 haystacks are the same...is the "welcome players" done as an image file, or is it ascii? Is it VB?

I don't think you are going to find the kind of help you need without someone else having the same application sitting in front of them... without looking at the program flow, we have no clue where to tell you to look...

Well thats probably the best reply ive had to this dilema.I do believe its ascii when I opened it with a free hex editor I was able to pin point the "welcome players" line ,but when I tryed to remove it the dll would not load.So thats where Im at I will just keep trying And I really appreciate all your guys input on this matter and I think this AO board is one the best places I could have come to get help thanks guys and I will keep checking the thread...pZargs

Ok, that gets us a little further... when you got rid of the relevant code, did you just delete it out. fill it with 0's, spaces, etc? If you just cut the code out, it probably failed a checksum, or something.

Best bet would be to find the place in the program where it jumps to that string, and NOP the call, or have it jump the call.

EDIT: another thought...fill the message with whatever the hex code is for a space....

Huh? That makes no sense. It seems he is trying to change a resource file included in a .dll, and those are easily changed and manipulated with a resource editor. One that springs to mind is Resource Hacker http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/ that lets you change the resource files of many Win32 programs but it does not cover everything needed in the art of reverse enginering. To change the code inside of an executable needs a serious understanding of debugging, encryption, assembly and a lot more a field in which I am not well versed in.

Since I do not have the program I cannot verify if I can edit the resources included in the .dll because sometimes the .dll may not use resources and as a result, you will need find another way to reverse engineer. Oh yeah, one last thing... it may void your license because it may not allow for reverse engineering or trying to find how the game works and modifying it. This is evident because it would have included an editor for the modification of that aspect of the game.

Good luck

Thanks alittlebitnumb, that's what I was trying to get at...wrong phraseology (not a programmer by any stretch of the definition)... Is Borland resource workshop still around?

EDIT: Nevermind..I see that it is. I thought they dropped that awhile back.

Yep thats What I did just filled the empty hex text with nonsensical 1's and 0's..Thats probably why it would not execute.So I will try all your ideas..I will never give up

So again thanks guys and happy programing pZargs