Thread: Fading Away of Internet Connection

Fading Away of Internet Connection

I was just curious for this toppic...
    back when i had cable, the 1st time i ran it..it went like extremely fast and then got slower in like a week or so...
    Then I got DSL and also went extremely fast the 1st week but also slowed down after some time...
    anyone know why that is or just some info on this topic?
    peace

/scriptkiddie18

I understand why it happens with cable, and I think I can explain why. Basically, when cable internet service is introduced in an area there is a very large bandwidth available. As more users use this service, the available bandwidth gets smaller and smaller. Cable companies generally advertise thier internet services and offer some kind of incentive when there ius a large amount of unused bandwidth. You sign up because of this offer, then 500 other people do on your network node in the same week, and presto! back to 90% network load again.

I imagine with DSL it happens much in the same way, but the available bandwidth is only seen on the other side of your ISP. They advertise thier service bacuase of too many unused resources, people sign up for the now very fast service, and the added user base places a higher load on thier services, slowing the connection.

That would make sense to me.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I would go with Striek's analysis. The problem is known as "contention" with DSL. Basically if you sign up for a domestic service you get a share with up to 50 other subscribers.

All it takes is a few of them to set up home/small office networks and start doing big file downloads and you could find that your superfast link is working slower than a dial-up

Business users over here can opt for contention ratios of 20:1 and 4:1 or a dedicated ultra fast link of their own, but people with small businesses and home enthusiasts use the domestic network............against the rules but they still do it

Cheers

At first i didnt know if there really was a change but i got to thinking...ya i think you two are right about it...but shouldn't they do something about it...
    well what would be some possible solutiosn tot his?
    peace

Originally posted here by nihil
    Business users over here can opt for contention ratios of 20:1 and 4:1 or a dedicated ultra fast link of their own, but people with small businesses and home enthusiasts use the domestic network............against the rules but they still do it

Cheers
    I wouldn't say it was against the rules for small businesses and home enthusiasts to have a DSL connection with a 50:1 contention ratio - after all it's generally a darn sight cheaper than 20:1 and I've found that in my experience a 50:1 ratio doesn't slow things down (perhaps I live on a street of technophobes?). Hmm, maybe I should start a "don't get broadband" campaign to keep my connection nice and fast?
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.