Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Custom titles

i love the idea of custom titles.... but i don't know that there should be so many restrictions... for example the idea that one needs to have so many tutorials to do it seems a little off to me, since that will just inspire people to write crappy tutorials to meet the quota... i like the idea of using number of posts in conjunction with the number of ap's and the length of time here
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Yeah I don't care to much for the tutorial part of it either.

I think if we had either a 500 or 750 AP limit and a minimun of 6 monts at AO, or a minimum of 375 or 415 posts shoudl work.

Or something similiar to that.
    =

GreekGoddess
    Personally, I like the idea of it just being a time-based feature. Make it an award for being an AO member for 2 years and up. You can't speed up the time process and this has been a feature that has been brought up on several occasions by far older members.

I think any other way the titles would just be handed out like candy, and like any other reward on this site, wouldn't be worth much, since everyone seems to reach it so quickly... (post count, AP's, etc.)

It would be something to look forward to for me as well, as I haven't been a member of the boards two years yet.

As far as a limit to set for custom titles, I will not suggest any limits as I find that most that are suggested here give the person replying with them just enough credit for a custom title under their name.
    not quite
    so far I'm the only one to suggest a target I havn't already reached (i mean that everyone elses limit suggestions I have already got enough or more - it is only my own suggestion that i dont have enough for yet) if that makes sense!? lol

I like GG's idea tho - but with one add-on
    in order that some of the people who havn't been here for very long can acquire the status if deserved we could do like many other boards and hold competetions every so often with the winner recieving a custom title.....

like say.......a tutorials competetion on a certain area
    all the people who submit their names are put in a poll and the community decides which tut was best - this encourages them to write good tuts as they aint gonna win with a crappy one and it also means AO gains some tuts on specific areas

just an idea - comp doesn't always have to be tuts - could be Avatar designs (get rid of those crappy default ones ) anything really

v_Ln

Hmm, I like some of the ideas that are being proposed, but I think it's getting more and more complicated - e.g. tutorials, overall posts, security posts, antipoints. The simpler we keep the rule, the easier it will be for JM to implement and therefore the more likely that they'll get round to it.

Time since registering on AO is a good idea, because if you're still around after two years you're probably a decent contributor, have written the odd tutorial and have a reasonable number of APs anyway. It's also the only easy to implement way that no-one can cheat with - you can post whore, form AP alliances etc. but you can't make it appear that you registered two years ago unless you actually did.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Banned
    Thats fine with me Also a good idea, (btw: i have a 2 year old account) hehe

Banned
    Actually Val tutorial competitions sound like a really good idea to get things going and get people learning!

AO French Antique News Whore
    Time since registering on AO is a good idea, because if you're still around after two years you're probably a decent contributor, have written the odd tutorial and have a reasonable number of APs anyway. It's also the only easy to implement way that no-one can cheat with - you can post whore, form AP alliances etc. but you can't make it appear that you registered two years ago unless you actually did
    I'm register since the very first day of AO forum (I have yet to find someone older to me in AO). After 2-3 months, I stop lurking those forum and I came back 1 year and half after. (June 2003).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who had sleeping account.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

me and Ennis aint far behind you SDK
    tho i took about a 6month vacation from forums for a while when i had no internet access

v_Ln

Originally posted here by SDK
    I'm register since the very first day of AO forum (I have yet to find someone older to me in AO). After 2-3 months, I stop lurking those forum and I came back 1 year and half after. (June 2003).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who had sleeping account.
    Well, if the user_id is based on an auto_increment mySQL field (or the equivalent in whatever database server AntiOnline uses), I'm older than you because my userid is lower.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.