Thread: Security certifications

Lightbulb Security certifications

Hello,
    I am a student in sweden,presently I m doing Masters Thesis work in Intrusion Detection Systems.I would like to get a certification in Network Security.But I am at cross roads which to select?.Warm welcome from experts n geeks.
    Please anybody tell me that How far Network security field is good for better Job prospects in both India and USA.
    Moreover I wanna go 4 Networking certificate also.Which would be better?.Thanks in advance.
    Please help me...I would be greatful to you.
    Naga Raju Peddisetty,
    Msc Telecommunications,
    sweden.

you can get Net +, However, I would suggest the ol' CISSP.

Ninja Code Monkey
    If you want to do management work I'd recommend the cissp, maybe the giac cso (track 12).

If you want noob level, security+ or the sans gsec (which includes the cissp cbk).

If you want more technical, the giac certifications are good. gcwn (securing windows), gcux (securing unix), gcih (incident handling), gcia (intrusion analyst), etc are all good. ics2 also has a lower level cert than the cissp that is good for actuall trenchwork.

There are tons of others by other vendors and bodies but I have little experience with them. I've done the GSEC, GCIH, GCIA and am about to work on the GCUX training....I've found it to be pretty good. You can do full classes for them online and finish your certification (usually involves writing a paper, a couple of tests, and possibly some other project) online as well. GIAC also does an assortment of conferences all over the world all year round where you can pick up quite a bit of knowledge on the tracks they offer as well as one off classes like deconstructing malware or business law and comp sec.

God, i sound like a commercial. Bleh.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Juridian, how have you found the giac certs were welcomed in the field? I'm aware of the whole cert controversy in general but I mean as certs go. I know some people who've had managers go like "GIAC" *blank stare* :O

Also what type of a position are you in right now, if you don't mind my asking?
    [gloworange]
    find /home/$newbie -name *? | www.google.com 2>/dev/null
    [/gloworange]

Ninja Code Monkey
    Currently I'm a software developer for a multiplayer online game. They let me do security and various other development projects on the side.

I've found that the majority of the people like you mentioned know little about the security field. With all the advisories, conferences, etc. that SANS/GIAC puts out it's hard to miss them. The first manager I had when I went after the GSEC was more than happy to let me pursue it tho he didn't really know who they were. Nowadays I have managers who attend the GIAC conferences whenever they get a chance. The corporate sec officer at my work as well as the head sec monkeys for our parent company also hold some of their certifications or have at least been to one of their courses as well.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X