Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: index page

index page

yea this is a huge newbie question. but im working with psychojester and were having problems with the index.html... we have it everywhere but it wont show up.. so where exactly do you put it and is there a reason it might not show up? thanks

An index.html page is generally shown when you request a directory listing, e.g. http://www.rixort.com/about/ (ok, so that's technically an index.php file, but the principle is the same). So if you had an index.html file in your document root and your site was www.example.org, then that file would be shown whenever anyone requested http://www.example.org (or you could request it manually using http://www.example.org/index.html). Basically, it's there to make remembering URLs easier.

The only reason I can think of for it not showing up is if your server is configured not to use index.html, or has an alterative file that is higher up in the precedence table. For example, in Apache you could specify that index.htm is used, and if (and only if) that file isn't found then index.html is loaded, then index.php etc.

What page exactly are you having a problem with?
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Another issue might be case sensitivity. If you're using a Microsoft based unit to build the page and name it you're probably mixing cases or shortening the extension (html to htm). The server may be unix based where case matters.

Try renaming the file to default.html
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

its unix based. the top folders are
    .fantasticodata
    .htpasswds
    .neomail
    .spamassassin
    .sqmaildata
    .trash
    etc
    mail
    public_ftp
    public_html
    tmp

which of these does the default page/index belong???
    thanks

The index.html file seems belongs in the <i>www</i> file.....you can also name it default.html which works just the same (that is for loading on you home page).

Like stated before, if you are using MS Frontpage make sure that the extensions are lower-case.

Adiz

Are you using corecomm? That looks like their infrastructure?

Adiz

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Deimos326
    its unix based. the top folders are
    .fantasticodata
    .htpasswds
    .neomail
    .spamassassin
    .sqmaildata
    .trash
    etc
    mail
    public_ftp
    public_html
    tmp

which of these does the default page/index belong???
    thanks
    Are you using Apache and is this the server you configured? Usually public_html is the default location. Make sure it has perms of 711 and the files are 744.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

MSMITTENS IS RIGHT - Are you using Apache and is this the server you configured? Usually public_html is the default location. Make sure it has perms of 711 and the files are 744.
    But, I know that for some servers it is supposed to be put into the www file.

Adiz

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Depends on who is hosting it and that is the question to be answered.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by adiz
    But, I know that for some servers it is supposed to be put into the www file.

Adiz
    www is often a symbolic link for public_html, so in theory either should work (this is the case on both hosts that I use). However, as MsMittens points out, public_html is the default and should work.

default.html will not necessarily work - it all depends on how your web server is configured. My local Apache server won't check for any files other than index.php or index.html (in that order) because they're the only two types of files (other than images and javascript) that I have on them.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.