Thread: Limit the user in WinXP

Limit the user in WinXP

HI all, I like to ask you about how to limit the user in Window XP, since I know using the User Account, but I still not very sure whether it can work securely, I want to block the user from installing the applications software or Games. If there is software that i can use, please tell me. Thanks...

John...

AFAIK, user level accounts on XP cant install. Try it out for yourself. I'd do it, but my XP box is at home.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Go to Start>Run and type gpedit.msc .....You will have total control of everything....Muhahahahha!
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

John,

Do the users have unsupervised physical access to the equipment?

Cheers

hi,
    when you go to control panel >user account>create a new account and when you fill in the detail of new account you will have 2 options on end to set it as administrator or limited so you just click what you need.
    having few people with administrative privilege is not good idea.
    limited account as name says is very limited.they can not install or delete anything, just use the aplications which hopefully you as administrator allows them.

John,
    In Windows XP, there is the User Accounts that limit people on the machine. Also, you can go in to Control Panel >Administrative Tools> and make it to where the users cant change their passwords or anything. The User Account option really takes care of the job tho

We did miss a slight detail......are you using the NTFS Filesystem John? That would have some Major impact on your Security/Lockdown options.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey