Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden Question

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden Question

Well this is gonna sound kinda weird. But just a few seconds ago I was not able to view this web page.

Cryptographic Filesystems, Part One: Design and Implementation

Basically the first time I tried to view it I got the following:

You are not authorized to view this page
    You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Then a few minutes later I decided to try again and well what do you know it worked.

Has this ever happened to anyone ? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might have happened ? I have viewed this webpage before and have never encountered this error.

Operating System : Windows 98
    Web Browsers : Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 6.0 SP1
    Mozilla Firebird 0.7

Note: This only happened when I used the Microsoft web browser. I do have the latest Service Pack for both the OS and browser.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Elite Hacker
    I'm using linux with mozilla and I can't get to it:
    Forbidden
    You are not permitted to access the remote system.

If this is an error, then you should contact your local firewall administrator.
    Don't know what the problem is. I also tried it on my win98se box with IE, and it loaded just fine. Oh well.

edit
    Got it to load when I took out the www with mozilla. Very Strange.
    /me shrugs

Yes I have seen it on a Corporate network when trying to access information from some of the remote sites that had belonged to another company that we merged with. Sometimes it would work later on but with others you had to go to the frontpage and use the search facilities to get what you wanted.

I never did find out exactly why it happened............traffic volume, loss of data whilst making the connection?, or something weird and the error message is a red herring?

Cheers

EDIT: We did not have to enter passwords to get onto these remote sites, so it should not have been an authority problem..........may be the two servers couldn't establish trust for some reason?

Now I got another problem. Well whenever I visit their webpage not all the images load. Some of them are just white boxes with the title and an x within a box to the left side.

Any ideas as to how I could fix this ?

Note: Yesterday everything loaded up fine it just seems as if my browsers don't wanna play nice today.

Note: It happens with both of the browsers that I have installed. Only happens when I visit their site.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I managed to get into the site with no problems. WinME/IE6 SP1

They seem to be having problems?

Right mouse click on the "little red x" and select "show picture" then scroll down beyond the picture and scroll back up. The diagram should have miraculously appeared

Just don't ask me why

Cheers

Yeah I think that they are having problems with their site. Who knows that it is ? But everything is pretty much well find for me now.

Thanks nihil.

::Slaps self::
    Right mouse click on the "little red x" and select "show picture" then scroll down beyond the picture and scroll back up. The diagram should have miraculously appeared
    Now why did I not think of that ? Oh well ....
    Operation Cyberslam
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

The one thing you might try (just to see if it works) is to route your connection differently - one of the computers you go through on your way there might be listed as untrusted by their systems.

Just a random thought.

Regards,

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    In my experience, the 403 error code has usually meant permission problems by the webmaster. So might be best to send a note off to the admin, telling him this.

HTTP Error Codes and What they Mean
    Common HTTP Errors (simplified)

On an interesting twist, I'm being told that it's "Firewall Error: Forbidden" and I should contact my firewall administrator (interesting since I don't have one)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I can access the page, but it's very slow to load, even on my DSL connection. They may just be experiencing a lot of traffic and the webserver can't cope.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

The main page came up slow for me. The other pages on the site seemed to load faster, but when I clicked back to go back to the main page I got the
    "Forbidden
    You are not permitted to access the remote system.

If this is an error, then you should contact your local firewall administrator."
    message.
    It must be an issue with the site.
    Mad Beaver