Thread: Is it possible??

Is it possible??

Hey everyone,
    while i was doing nothing(which is very unusual), a wild wild thought struck my head. you know, i was thinking about computer viruses, in the future perhaps, which can destroy not only software, but also damage the hardware in some way. like maybe blow up the monitor or cpu of the victim. and then i thought.
    that can only happen if we can write programs which have PHYSICAL access over the hardware of a computer.
    and then i thought... maybe we have some already. i know abt certain programs which are used for controlling cpu temperature etc etc. is it then possible to use something like these programs to do bizzare stuff.
    like maybe increase the temp so much that the processor melts down n stuff. maybe even explode.
    well if that happens, no one will probably use the internet ever again. rogue viruses that spread like fire and end in fire (lol)..
    well thats almost as far as my wild and weird imagination went.
    what do you think. how far does yours reach....?
    |The Spider Sense|

Banned
    I know of some thatcrash your hard drive, you can throw it away after that.

like Memory I have heard of some virus that will trash the HD (can't remember names at the moment) and of course there was always the CIH virus which tried to flash your BIOS - didn't always work (but I have seen a box that did have the BIOS successfully flashed by CIH - not good) so in a sense we already have primitve viri which do physical damage to a Pc.

However what I am more interested in.... is the possibility of a virus for protein or DNA based computers.... these are still very much experimental but I figure what happens if we do get these type of computers to work efficiently (a long way off atthe moment) and then get them to the stage where you can inject them into a human (e.g. upgrade your memory - something similar to Johnny Mnemonic by William Gibson if you've read it) ... can you imagine what a virus (either a natural or engineed one) would do... not only to your data but also to a body.

Just some idle musings

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes