Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instant Messanger Services.

Instant Messanger Services.

Does services such as AOL Instant Messanger hide the IP address of the user and replace it with an IP Address of its own during communications using AIM? I use GAIM myself, however when talking to a friend last night who uses a Cable Internet Provider and no form of AOL other than AIM, I noticed their IP address belonged to AOL during a sniff of the line.

Yes, you are connected to AOLs server for regular chat. You will see the server's IP address.

If you were to direct connect, then you would be connected directly to the other persons PC.

Direct connect is used to send pics, video, files, and I think voice.

I don't believe that gaim has those abilities.... at least... I couldn't get them to work severl months ago.

AIM actually has a linux client now... so, that might work with the direct connect?

Dunno.... haven't tried it. Looks like you can at least do file xfers... which is a direct connect.

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I prefer GAIM (no pop-ups or advertisements). I was just talking about sniffing ones IP address. Even if I was to use the service, I wouldn't be able to sniff the IP just by chatting. They would have to accept the connection before I would get their true IP.

That's right - if you prepare to initiate a direct connection with someone (e.g. to share files), AIM will pop up a box warning you that this will reveal your actual IP to the other person.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Has anyone tried Trillian?
    its a combo of aim, irc, icq, yahoo and msn services
    http://download.com.com/3000-2150-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

i tried trillian..its having trouble with regards to yahoo messenger. but trillian is great...i hope they would fix flaws in it.

I never really used Trillian because I didn't have any friends who used MSN or Yahoo. Does it have a linux port? (Trillian that is)
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

As far as I know Trillian only has a windows version
    but this could help
    http://www.winehq.com/
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

If you want various IM services on Linux, you would probably be best advised to use gaim - it's worked fine for me in the past and does the same as Trillian. It's free, open source and there's a windows port as well (although I've never used the windows version so I can't comment on it really).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I personally think trillian is crap. Its to buggy, uses to many resources, aand its ugly. Get all your friends on 1 IM client and use it.

There are a lot of differnt app's that work like trillian for different OS's though. GAIM does support more then just AIM for linux.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman