Thread: xp question:restore settings after installing

Angry xp question:restore settings after installing

I couldn't boot my windows so decided to put the xp cd so as to boot from there...i did sth stupid and finally i installed again xp. Luckilly i did not lose my previous settings and files (i know that because i have all my previous folders), The problem is that many progs don't run cause they need dlls (that should be somewhere in the harddisk) and i have a problem with the users: i was obliged to create new users when doing installation and now i cannot access the files of my previous ones...is there any way that i restore my desktop settings and access my files (in my documents folder)
    Thanks in advance
    PS:the all users folder contains my previous users documents and a strange folder (with a strange name) that has some files(which i dont know what to do!)

AO French Antique News Whore
    Yes, take ownership of those while. If you're the administrator, you can do that.

P.S. I recommand that you burn all your files, and save your setting and do a refresh install of XP...
    -Simon \"SDK\"

GreekGoddess
    You may try doing a system restore to a point where you'll be able to grab the needed files and do as SDK mentioned with burning them to cd or putting them on disk.

If you don't want to reinstall your OS entirely and things aren't working from the rollback to a previous state, you'll probably have to uninstall and reinstall the non-working programs to regain their functionality.

And I'm not sure as to why you were having this problem in the first place that would have caused you to put the XP disc in, but you may want to do a virus scan to check and see that there's nothing malicious going on in the background.

First I dont have any virus, i just couldn't boot (the MBR had been in a **** situation cause i tried to uninstall lilo) and tried to use the xp cd...also the main problem is that i dont have access (as administrator) to the files of the previous users (i even tried to do that through linux)...anyway it seems that once more windows cannot help me....
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

AO French Antique News Whore
    You need to take Ownership of the file... After you'll have access to them!

I repeat, take OWNERSHIP of the File and directory!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

You couldn't do it through Linux?

SuSE can read everything on my HD, any file in any folder...

Have you tried taking ownership as SDK has suggested?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

To SDK: And.... how do i take ownership of the file??????????
    ToD0pp139an93r: I DID NOT SAY I COULDNT READ THEM...EVEN MY GRANDMA CAN READ WINDOWS FILES FROM A SUSE LINUX. I JUST COULD NOT WRITE THEM EVEN WHEN I MOUNTED WINDOWS WITH RW PERMISSIONS . (I DID NOT PRESS CAPS LOCK BY ACCIDENT.................) Anyway thanks for answering
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman