Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wardriving equipment

well in that case, by listening to what they are broadcasting, i feel they are violating privacy laws.
    I understand how you can feel this way, I honestly do. But keep in mind that it is not like listening through an open window. These networks broadcast across citywide ranges, and thus it is similar to someone shouting. A wardriver is simply listening for certain shouts, just like a child may tune out the word "no" but listen for the word "candy". Privacy matters not when it is placed into the open air on purpose, and with the knowing concent of the shouter.

Example:

You are at a baseball game and everyone is screaming for their team to win. The wardriver would be walking around listening for a certain kind of phrase or scream, such as "I love the other team better!", and jotting it down. No privacy is breached because the fans are on purpose, shouting out their thoughts, opinions, and in a WAP's case.. their network Name and existance proof.

Don't neg me for this, I am not condoning or suggesting anything. I am merely stating my own opinion on the matter.

In my personal opinion, anyone who has a network that broadcasts in the open is giving blatant permission for people to listen in and make use of that network. I do not do this personally. I am a wardriver, I enjoy it, but I have never broken the law. I have never accessed a network that I did not have oral or written permission to access. And I definitely do not approve of people doing so. People who do those things have given the entire online community a bad name. It is people like that who turned the word hacker into a curse. Hackers used to be programmers, now they are felons.

Sorry for the rant at the end, but I've had a long night.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.