Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to this new forum!

Welcome to this new forum!

At MsMittens' suggestion, we've created this new forum for the discussion of various Operating System issues! Have at it!

by opening these general discussion forums aren't we pushing AO away from being a Security realted Forum to A general IT Discussion Forum. though i think it's a good idea though this way more people not just from Security but hardware, OS, Programming etc. will join in

just my penny

Banned
    I think we need this forum as a lot of GCC posts are OS related. They have found a home now.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    by opening these general discussion forums aren't we pushing AO away from being a Security realted Forum to A general IT Discussion Forum. though i think it's a good idea though this way more people not just from Security but hardware, OS, Programming etc. will join in
    Actually no. The front page remains dedicated to security. I had for the longest time, been against having general OS forums but after some recent serious bouts of moving posts around I thought that perhaps there was a need.

Add to this the importance of knowing the OS that you have to secure, not just from a security point of view but rather a general usage point of view (understanding how various components interact, how things get installed, etc.) as well as having a strong basis of computer understanding to be able to secure the system and/or hack (in the good sense), it began to make more sense.

So I requested it, we discussed it and viola!

Should be a bit easier to find threads, albeit ALL the OSes will be here.

As an FYI, I will not go through GCC to move all the OS posts to here but if you feel your post should be here PM a mod and we'll be happy to move it for you.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Damn , i was thinking about suggesting a OS forum after my Menuete: an OS on floppy disk thread. Good idea. And can you move that thread there , it in GCC now.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    For future reference, give me the link at least. With so many threads, it can be annoying to go through the search feature, etc. to find the right one
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Originally posted by MemorY
    Damn , i was thinking about suggesting a OS forum after my Menuete: an OS on floppy disk thread. Good idea. And can you move that thread there , it in GCC now.
    I moved that thread from GCC to the new OS forum before you even posted this, Memory

I also moved some 10 other posts from GCC to the new one to make it feel less empty.

i really like the idea of an os forum... there are plenty of things that are discussed here that don't have categories... as for this making it more of a general "it" site... i don't know that it does that... i think it jsut makes it easier for people to spread their computer knowledge
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

I understand the point about this being a "security site" but I have seen so many problems posted that could be malware, software or hardware?

I would personally like to see a forum alongside the hardware and website ones for general software problems?

I have always felt that it is limiting to put things in pigeon holes until you have at least had a look at them?

And security peremeates throughout the whole gamut of IT...............or it ought to do?

Just my £0.02

Cheers

Well, it's good to see MsMittens was thinking the way I was I'v been begging for this forum for like 8 months

/me is now happy.

Now GCC and others can be beack to general threads instead of Linux and BSD and Windows problems that aren't security related..

Just hope this forum won't turn me into a post whore.