Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can they know where i am

Dwarrett

Can they know where i am

Hi all
    I am wondering, say, I am viewing a web site, can the owner(administrator) of this web site know where i am and from where i am connecting, that is can he figure out my location?

Banned
    Yes. Tracing IP's. Contacting your ISP if he has the authority. They can also collect information what websites you visit nextvia cookies. But yeah they can find out where your conecting from.

Dwarrett
    How can i avoid that ? - I do not want the admin to track me down and find me, this is my privacy ...

You can avoid this throught the use of proxies

Just do a google search for Proxy servers and copy one of the IPS down.

For Interenet Explorer, got to tools--Internet Options--then click on the connections tab. You will then see a button that says LAN settings. Press that and under Proxy server, check the box that says use a proxy server. Then enter in the proxy server IP and port number that you copied. From then on people will not see your IP.
    =

Banned
    Proxy servers should protect your privacu enough for you not to worry about it. But certain authorities would still be able to find you. Let's face it, on the internet there is no privacy, but you can do some thing to keep it low.

Correct, but as far as what I belive hes concerned about he should be ok.

My guess is that hes worried about the average guy not liking him and wanting his IP or somethng along that effect. lol
    =

as long as you havn't done anything wrong all the admin can get is the general area your in using your ip address. An ISP's records are not public information and require a court order or the involment of the government using the patriot act or the ISP agrees to co-operate with the police. its not something thats done for every request as it costs big bucks to put these wheels in motion.

As has been said a proxy can help keep your ip addy from the websites server logs but this is not always fool proof.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Dwarrett
    ok, on google search I found a web site, copied down one of the name and port into internet options > connections > LAN settings > in the boxes and clicked ok, am i fine now ? or should i do anything else ...

Depending on what your deirect goal is. Yeah you should be fine. But I will say I am more fond of Proxy chaining. Use Proxies that aren't in the US and the US govt. Can't Subpena the Proxy server admin to release the logs. It is a way to avoid alot of BS. Though you are still not secure. (There is really no such thing as total annomity.) Becacuse there are Proxy checkers that will check to see if you are using a well known Proxy and if so they will not allow you to connect.

That and also there are scripts that will still grab your IP which can still lead back to who your actual ISP is.

One such script is the one that is floating around in people's signatures.

What about frequent Releasing and Renewing of your IP addy? Could that help? Its just a thought... I'm not sure if it would actually work...