Thread: What / How should I implement this?

What / How should I implement this?

*Deep breath* Here we go:

I have a major problem, guys. Its got little to do with design, and more to do with actual planning of how to implement a website.

Before I kick off, it'd be best if you take a peek at my current website ( P. S. I'm not advertising guys, I need help.. and the best way to know what I'm talking about is to take a peek at it.. so you'll know what I'm describing. I even disabled the hit counter :P )

http://<a rel="nofollow" href="http:...o.wastedex</a>

Looking at the layout, you might notice that it's all HTML. Purely, and simply HTML, with a little bit of CSS. Now heres the problem. The 'Table' on the right contains link to the main sections of the page. I'm referring to 'Divine Pointlessness, blah de blah'. The Big table in the middle is the main contents area. The last table on the right contains a 'history' of sorts, linking to all the previous updates.

Simple so far? It gets ugly from here. heh.

Each section has it's own contents page. If you were to click on say 'VIkkZ', it would take you another identical HTML page, only with the modifications and the update of that particular writer. Subsequently, each section has a 'History' table too. (pure HTML tables, mind you)

Now heres where the problem lies:

• Each time a new update is added, I have to manually add the link to each pages 'History' table. For example, if VikkZ writes me a new article.. I have to publish the new article, I have to put a link to his previous one in the 'History' table, and then I have to edit each of the previous HTML files, and update their 'History' tables too!

• Each time I add a new member, I have to consequently edit, and update EACH and EVERY HTML file in the whole site to accomodate that addition. It wook me a good two hours to add Communist Muffin Man into the site list. heh heh.

This is something I have to deal with. I need a way to fix this, but I'm baffled. I have thought of using frames, but the frame structure would be kind of weird, and frames seem awkward given the design of the page, the boxes and everything.

Proposed Frame Structure:
    I have the main page, which contains two frames. The left frame, and the right frame.
    Left frame contains the 'Sections' table. This allows me to update ONLY the left_frame.html file, and it will show up on all the subsequent files. Great. Any new members or sections, and they need to be added to only location only.

The right frame in turn consists of two frames. One to hold the each section's CONTENT, and one to hold each section's HISTORY. This would enable me to simply update the one HISTORY FRAME page for each section.

So bascially;
    main ==&gt; left(sections), right
    right ==&gt; content, history

This is one answer to the problem, but apparently not a very practical one. Plus it gives a few design and integration issues. Can anyone offer any help as to what the hell I can do with this mess? heh heh.

Cheers

you could use a simple php include
    ok what i mean is instead of having the list of links just place this

Code:
    &lt;?php include("../../menu/history.inc"); ?&gt;
    now create a new file called history.inc (simply create it in notepad or similar and change extension after you save it from .txt to .inc

in history.inc place the code for the history links - you dont need &lt;html&gt; or anything cause what it will do is when the page is fetched by someone viewing your page - the browser will fetch the .inc file and copy the contents into the html page exactly as it is in the .inc file

for example your inc file might look something like

Code:
    &lt;a href="../../index.php&gt;Main Page&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br&gt;
    &lt;a href="../../pictures.php&gt;View Pictures&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br&gt;
    &lt;a href="../../guestbook.php&gt;Guestbook&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br&gt;
    &lt;a href="../../contact.php&gt;Contact Me&lt;/a&gt;
    the code in your .inc replaces the single line of php that i showed you above.

so all you have to do is replace the history links on each page with the

Code:
    &lt;?php include("../../menu/history.inc"); ?&gt;
    and then when you want to add a new link just update the history.inc file and it will update all the pages when viewed

the pages that include the php code will need to be changed from .html to .php as well for it to work

the ../../ is simply telling it to go back 2 folders remember that no matter where the page is it will need to be able to find the .inc file - you could also put in the absaloute path like http://yoursite.com/menu/history.inc if you prefered

v_Ln

You're talking about using it with the proposed frames, or without?
    Alternately, can the same be done using ASP?

with the above method you do not need to change anything about the layout of your site at all - just remove the links in the history section and replace it with that one line.

Also I would avoid frames - personnaly i hate them and they are all but dead now

as for asp can't help there am afraid dont know it

v_Ln

Thanks mate. thanks a bunch
    I blame you cos my mind is not my own, so don't blame me if I trespass in your zone!

no problem anytime - if you have any probs just PM me or post another reply

v_Ln

Is PHP usable with IIS? Or does IIS just support ASP?
    I blame you cos my mind is not my own, so don't blame me if I trespass in your zone!

to check your server for php enter this

Code:
    &lt;?php phpinfo(); ?&gt;
    into a text file and save as something like phpinfo.php - upload to server and view in browser

should give you all your php details - if it does then you know php is on the server

v_Ln

A mind full of questions has no room for answers