Thread: Windows to Linux

Windows to Linux

I was thinking of switching to linux, because I can only take so many uninstalls and reformats. The only thing I was wondering is, I heard you cant play alot of games on linux, and most apps wont transfer over. Is this true?
    We all search for a reason to live. It is in that reasoning we discover who we truly are.

Yes and no. I believe you can you emulators to use certain programs, but the quality deteroerates. For example, MS Word doesnt work well under an emulator, neither does IE (i dont understand why you would want to use either of those on linux, but whatever). I believe Wine would serve your purpose. You can get it here.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

switching to linux is not a bad idea if your a big internet guru, but if your a big gamer that probably isnt the greatest idea. yea, you can get some of them to work with linux, but a good amount of them just wont work, and the ones that do wont work too well. but if its for something like setting up a server or something internet related, go for it.

you can get some of them to work with linux, but a good amount of them just wont work, and the ones that do wont work too well
    thats just not true. I've been able to use lots of apps and games that were made for windows work through wine at clost to optimum performance.

slick

[edit] i dunno, chsh, maybe im just lucky, but ive never really had a problem with it [/edit]
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

I'm sorry, but having actual experience with it, and not relying on some silly myths page, Wine is not a good solution for gamers. WineX is fairly good from what I've heard, but still, I keep Win98SE around for gaming.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Sure you can play games on linux..I mean don't expect frames to be killer if you have integrated video...But linux really isn't a gaming os..I mean you can make it into one, but if your a gamer, most of the best games are ported over to windows anyway..Like slick8790 said, you can use wine..But it's not the end of the world, linux usually comes with alot of free games you can play around with..And ut2003 is for linux as well...Just don't buy a game in a store and expect it to run on linux heh...But if you have like an ati 8500 and decide to play ut2003 for linux, you will probably have pretty good game play imo..But anyway, check out www.linuxgames.com
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Developer Extraordinar
    Windows and Linux are not the same thing. They use completly different kernels, and everything. Yes, there was layers for Linux that will help to allow you to use Windows apps, and play Windows games. chsh mentioned it above. That said, there are also tons, and tons, and tons of apps for Linux, I'm sure you can find atleast one that will d the same thing as your old app on Windows. If your starting out, I'd probably tell you to go with RedHat, SuSE, or if you really want the Windows look and feel, try TurboLinux, it looked very Windowy. Help I helped

Peace

MB

What is the best method of getting Windows Based programs to run under Linux? I know there is Wine, WineX, Win4Lin, etc. I do not want to "degrade" the functionality of my system. Nor do I want to run anything and everything. I am more than comfortable using Evolution, OpenOffice, GAIM, Mozilla, etc. The thing I would like to do, is put on one or two of my primary travel games so I can access them on the road. I play MTGO, Rise of Nations, Warlords Battlecry II, and Counter-Strike. One or two of the games would be sufficient. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.