Ok, I'm sort of new to the world of Batch File creation. I'm trying to create a batch file that will close down a program, and then another batch file that will re-open the program...

Basically here's why - I have a program that needs to run on our server in order for others to be able to access the programs from their workstations. Each night I run a backup of the server's critical files including the database for this program. The only problem is, when this program is running on the server - it won't back up the database. All users shut down at the end of the night - so I know they won't be accessing it, but they usually work much later than do I and I don't want to have to show them how to shut off the program in the server each night before they leave...

So I'm looking for a bat file command that I can run that I can add to the scheduler to close the program - then have the backup set to run after that time - the backup takes about 40 minutes - so then I would have another batch file that, maybe say an hour later, would re-open the program...

I found a batch file that will open a program (the start command0 with a good explanation of how this will work) but none for shutting down.

I actually found two sites that had a URL link that said something about 'A way to shut down a program from within a batch file' but the link was a bad one - so I have to think there might be a way to figure this out.