Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Delete File

Cannot Delete File

Here's the scoop. I downloaded a file (I know it is not a virus because I made it, lol). The original extension was "*.sue", and I changed it to "*.exe" and ran it. Nothing happened and I was like ok, delete file. Says that it is being used. I have restarted my computer about 3 times and it is "still being used." I have XP. Am I missing something? How do I delete?

-Cheers-

ctrl-alt delete, and if the program is running, kill the running process and then try to delete it. If that dont work try here:

http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10...l?tag=lst-0-18

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    You can try rebooting into Safe Mode and deleting the process from there
    How to start XP in Safe Mode
    You could also try
    MoveOnBoot
    Good Luck
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I guess downloading ultra file destroyer would not help as it will not be able to delete a file which is currently in use....

I guess he needs to identify the process that his exe has started destroy the process and then try deleting the file.....
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

I think Reeboting the system to the safe mode is the best method to delete the file mentioned above,,,, {As ShagDevil said}
    Don\'t Be So HumblE>>>>
    You aRe N0T tHaT GreaT<<<<

I would recommend running MSCONFIG before booting in safe mode.
    This will let you verify all processes that are started on boot. Booting in safe mode will probably let you delete the file but will not help you understand why you could not delete it. Of course if you cant see anything with MSCONFIG you can always boot in safe mode and mark it down to one of the wonders of windows

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Your programs sound interesting if it still can't be deleted after a reboot.

I'm wondering if you are experimenting with something that writes to the registry to make itself autorun.

If you really can't delete it via other methods then boot with a knoppilx cd and then delete it.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Very interesting indeed ... if you don't have knoppix, rename the file with an unused extension (I always liked .ded for 'dead')..then reboot. You should then be able to delete it.

When worse comes to worse, reformat, reinstall..

I would like to throw a cautionary note in here... I hope this is a lab box (not on a network), and not one you have 'in production'...

I have Ctr-Alt-Del'ed, and used safe mode. I am writing an updater program, and VB won't let you 'Shell' a non-exe. So I just changed the extension to see if it worked... :-p I am not sure exactly what it did. As for Groov, I a can not rename because it "is in use." I will do what you and Steve said however and remove via Knoppix, or try.

-Cheers-

Hmm.... that's interesting. I've never had an issue with renaming not working. Cheers for letting me know it doesn't always work.