Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall Books

Firewall Books

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend any good firewall books ? I'm looking more for a book that explains the underlining theory and concepts of firewalls in general and how they work, instead of just a book about a certain firewall and how to set it up?

Thanks for all useful posts.
    -

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    In response to your question, and I might as well be the first to suggest this,
    Firewalls for Dummies is as good as any to start with, use it as a reference, or, as I did,read it through, first though, select a firewall, and get it up and running. Read about them later !!!
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Looks like a good book, thanks : )

Anyone else have any other ideas ?
    -

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well, there is the traditional Build Internet Firewalls by O'Reilly which is pretty good. There is also a new one that I've been considering that might be worthwhile to peruse (even to look at -- it is a bit of brick tho'): The Best Damn Firewall Book Period.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

lol ... can't argue with a title like that.
    -

The Best Damn firewall book period is a pretty good book. I have it but didnt think to link to it...

Oops.

I'm a student, and therefore poor .... anyone know somewhere on the net where i could get any of these books in e format for free. Can't get on a p2p network here
    -

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well, you're thinking too narrow then. Don't think in pure book format. Use google for terms like "tutorial+firewall". You'd be surprised how much legitimately free material is out there if you just look.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Why not join a newsgroup or mailing list which is specifically for firewalls ?

Joining a newsgroup and mailing list might just be a good idea.

Just like how MsM has suggested using Google and other search engines can be quite good.

Note: Right now I can't remember the name[s] of the newsgroup[s] or mailing list[s] but once I find them I will post them.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam