Thread: Cisco Router Passwords

Question Cisco Router Passwords

Is there a way of defeating the password on a Cisco router via telnet of something other than using the console port?

Sure, probably. Just prove it is yours.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Yes, and no.

You, my friend... need to read up a bit.

SecurityFocus HOME Infocus: Exploiting Cisco Routers: Part 1
    SecurityFocus HOME Infocus: Exploiting Cisco Routers: Part 2

There is more material out there... but start with this, and then do some searching.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

2600 magazine published on article on this last year. Cisco routers are designed to route until they can route no more. So if a router were flooded with traffic it would disable others services before it disabled it's routing. It does leave a quasi-"backdoor" though. Admins can log into a "safe mode" to shut down a router gone crazy. The password for the safe mode is the default password for the router.

I don't want to give it all away, but I think this is a good start. If you need some more hints, let me know.

-Al
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

Thanks for the tips, I'm taking the CCNA course at school, so all the routers are Cisco brand, so i figured I would make the class more interesting, setting up an access control list or something, good stuff, thanks alot

in nessus there is an option to scan for Cisco vulnerabilities and others for brute forcing.

Hey There, im new to this forum i just registered haha. well i took the CCNA class last year as well. During the course you learn how to "crack" the cisco router passwords while sitting at the terminal for it. And i can't remeber for sure if you can telnet to use this method to crack the password, for you need to restart the computer and change some registry values. its not hard, but dont beleive you would be able to do it while using telnet. but it has been a little bit since i did that lol.

Just Another Geek
    If you have physical access to the router you can always do the 'password recovery' thing.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.