Thread: Privacy Issues? Help?

Unhappy Hi people

Hi people, as u can see im new here.

I have found it very hard to solve my problem so had to find someone that could help. I guess someone on this board can indeed help me. There is someone out there that knows each and everything about me. To hell, he even knows what trainers i have as well as stuff like what books i have purchase off net. I need some help here guys. Very much apreciate it

Cheers

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hi Kilo,

Sounds like someone has either some type of keylogger/network sniffer/trojan to detect your passwords and use them against you. GIven that you haven't indicated what OS you are using and what protections, if any, you have in place, it's hard to give you full advice.

Immediately I suggest doing a check for trojans and viruses with anti-virus software and trojan detection software; look for an unusual processes running and if any extra ports are open. Deal with this first before changing passwords because if you don't take care of how he's getting the info first, then you can't prevent him from getting further information.

You may want to alert any credit card companies that someone might try to use your credit card information and they should watch for any unusual purchases.

That said, if you could provide a little more detail for the following:

- Operating system

- Do you have a firewall? Are you sure you have configured it correctly?

- Do you have anti-virus software that is up to date?

- Does this person live in the same household as you or have some type of access to your home/school/work computer?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Maybe it's one of your friends playing a practical joke on you or something because as far as I know they can't find out what books and stuff you purchase off the internet unless you are buying from them or you have a trojan installed on your computer? Try a trojan/virus scan and probably installing a firewall which i doubt would be the problem.

EDIT: What MsMittens said (I happened to post this at the same time she did o.O)
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

What MsMittens said is very good advice. To add my part becarful about what you click or don't click. Be very weary of settings that "remember you" such as automatic login to a site. This enables people to sit at your computer and do whatever they please. Although many highly sensative sites such as Banks and StockMarket time out if a connection is idle for certain amount of time, other sites don't (*cough cough Antionline) and you must specifically logout. Also browsers such as IE allow you to save your passwords (annoylingly I have found it prompts you to save a password everytime you enter it in) I would turn these features off and never save passwords. By doing so you are opening yourself up to a heap of trouble.

DeafLamb

Firstly none of my friends have any such details of mine regarding my online purchases and also i dont have mates that are such sadd gits to hack into ma system.

Btw, I have Norton anti virus 2003 with a sophos firewall (not know too much about it)
    My system: P4 running off Windows XP Pro

Apart from that, is it possible to get this person reported somhow or another. He is stalkin me for heavens sake and i really am worried.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    How did you learn about this person then? Friend? Former Friend?

You should disconnect from the Internet and run an Antivirus scan in Safe Mode. This should help eliminate any potential connect he/she may have.

When connected to the Internet open a dos window (go to start --> run --> type cmd.exe) and then type netstat -a. Copy and paste here. You should alter your personal IP address out of it. This is so we can help determine if the attacker is using a known trojan.

In addition, we can help you lock down the ports that might be open. A firewall blocks all the ports and leaves some open. We might be able to help make your system more secure. When did you last do a System update (installed service patches, critical fixes, etc.)

You might also want to download The Cleaner to see if there are any trojans that perhaps your AV software isn't picking up. Additionally, open the Task Manager (you can find this using Ctl+Alt+Del) and see what services are running. A tool called tlist should be able to match processes to applications in a little more english.

If you do the above, I'd suggest changing passwords. And make them good ones -- not just "middlename123". It's better to use something like a phrase password (e.g., 2bR!=tuB -- don't use this one as it's pretty obvious). Other alternatives is to have a phrase in mind (e.g., I love and adore John Travolta). Take the first letter of each word and either leave it as is, capitalize it or replace it with a number of special character: 1l@AJT . Pick something that doesn't reflect who you are (e.g., if you're the president of the John Travolta UK Fan Club, that wouldn't be a good pass).

If they are stalking you, you could contact the police. Reality is that laws are not in place in many countries to deal with real stalking, let alone online stalking. At the least make them aware and make credit card companies aware. You might not be aware that he/she does have your credit card information (or more than that). It costs a lot to get an identity back.

I hope this has helped somewhat..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes you have been very helpful indeed. However, i have more or less got it sorted. He was on msn again (as usual manages to break through the block) and as he was on i sent him a file with large number of graphics so that it took time to get accross to him. As it was going across I quickly went onto cmd and typed in netstats -n and print screened the IPs connected to my system (btw this was a tip given to me by CCA). Once i had done this i sent the ip to CCA who are now investigating this matter.

If nothing is made of this, i shall contact u guys back. For the time being I shall run a few clean up operations and regarding credit cards, i dont even have one lol. Only direct debit.