This is my tutorial on "How to Create an Configure an Alert Object for Windows 2000 & XP Professional". I am deminstrating this on a Windows 2000 Professional box.

Click on start, settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then click on Perfomance.
Expand "Performance Logs and Alerts" select alerts, then click on Actions menu, new alert settings, name it Set1.

This will display the Set1 properties, click the Add button, select Add %Processor Time then click Add. Now where it say's "Alert when the value is" change it from under to over. Next set the limit to 50, set the interval to: 1. Now click the Action tab at the top. Place a check mark in [i]Send a network message to: in that box type: Administrator. Now click the schedule tab at the top, place the bullet in Manually (using the shortcut menu) go to the bottom hit apply then ok.

Click on Set1, then open the Action menu, go to start and click on it, click on start, Programs, accessories, open windows explorer then immediately close windows explorer. Next click on start, Programs, Accessories, open windows explorer, now read the messanger mine says:

Message from ******* to Administrator on 1/14/2004 10:30AM

1-14-2004 10:30:51\\*******\Processor(35total)\%Processor Time tripped its alert threasholds.
78.768765546 is over the limit value of 50. Click OK button. Click on action, go to delete, a dial log box will display this message "Log or alert is running. Do you want to delete it? Click OK. Click console, go to exit.
This is very useful to setup alert objects on your system to monitor network activity. There are a lot of other useful stuff in here aswell. What we did here was setup a Test Alert object to monitor %processor time. When we changed the interval from default 5 to 1 it set the alert to monitor for every second. This is more twoards troubleshooting With Windows 2000 Professional Easy to read and understand? Thank you Computer Nerd22