Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASP or PHP?

Unhappy ASP or PHP?

which one is better asp or php? I'm trying to learn asp but someone told me that php is much better and jsp. What are the differences???

http://www.asp.net
    http://www.php.net

php is not microsoft, and it is free. Need I say more?

Hmm, I guess I should. I have never used asp but have used PHP extensivly. I find it works very well and is very easy to work with. It intergrates well with databases such as mySql which makes it prefect for managing information over the web such as in a shopping cart or forum (such as antionline, look up and see the .php extention) I would say give php a try, if it dosn't float your boat go back to ASP, that is the beauty of the web. You will never be without another option when it comes to doing something. You could be old fashioned and just write your server side scripts in C. Have Fun.

DeafLamb

AO French Antique News Whore
    Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL is the best. All open source, a LOT more secure that IIS and all free.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by SDK
    Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL is the best. All open source, a LOT more secure that IIS and all free.
    I wouldn't say that PHP, apache, linux etc is LOT more secure than IIS. I would say that php, linux, asp, windows, whatever is only as secure as the webmaster allows it to be. For example I use PHP, MySQL and I doubt that my apps are more secure because of this...

Just teasing you, SDK...
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

AO French Antique News Whore
    Ok.. Small correction... Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL is not more secure that IIS. ISS is so dangerous, open, buggy, etc that ANYTHINK is more secure!!

Happy now!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I've worked with php and asp.net and i like the feel of php much more. ASP.NET seems too mixed in with html, plus php is free! and works nicely with mySQL, and you can't go wrong with open source
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

One of the things I like about PHP over ASP is that with PHP you can do something simple like write a form in plain HTML and you only need the PHP on the next page to process the form. With ASP, your form elements are not HTML, they are ASP defined form elements.

I've only covered ASP briefly, so I'm not an expert. I've been studdying PHP for the last 2 and a half years. Still not even close to being an expert on PHP, I can still say that I like what I've seen from PHP way more than ASP.

Price always helps in decision making. It is much cheaper to set up a server running PHP than ASP. Whichever language you choose, learn to write the applications securely. It may seem like tedious work, but not as much as disaster recovery

I have worked with php, mysql, apache, sql server, asp, asp.net, C#, vb, vb.net a lot. The feel of php is better for someone trying to learn. asp is a pain to learn. I don't think that asp is worth the time to learn. php you can just work simple code. asp is always a complex pain. I write php cuz I love it. I write asp.net for my job. things always soon to take longer in asp.

Originally posted here by hiddeninclouds
    I've worked with php and asp.net and i like the feel of php much more. ASP.NET seems too mixed in with html, plus php is free! and works nicely with mySQL, and you can't go wrong with open source
    Not at all. With the coming of ASP.Net the html and the actual code (ie vb, c# etc... ) is totally seprate. This is called "Code behind". As far as PHP, I know nothing about. But i have worked with ASP.Net and find it very secure and the community behind it is awsome... u can find help fast and easy online when u hit a bump in the road. The .Net framework is extremly powerful and is just in the baby steps of becoming the way the web development on the professional level will be done. Yes, more power to PHP... its free etc..... But don't dismiss the power behind microsoft and their future strategists. Microsoft is on top and therefor everyone will try and challege and undermind there ground breaking technology.

If you are trying to find out which one to learn, then my answer would be: "Learn them both" this will make u a more marketable programmer/web guy than alot of other poeple. I am going to learn PHP but I will not let my ASP.Net skills go un-noticed.
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

Not at all. With the coming of ASP.Net the html and the actual code (ie vb, c# etc... ) is totally seprate. This is called "Code behind".
    I know that it can be in a code behind file or in the page itself. I Code behind can be very sweet. The company I work for that is how there well app is done. As well as te common code in dlls. I think I just love php more b/c that is what I started with(web programing that is)