Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB drive password protection?

USB drive password protection?

I carry around a couple of USB drives with all sort of stuff in there. I carry network tools/resume/and other stuff that I need sometimes. Is there a way to put a password on the USB in case I lose my keys or something? I've put a password on the resume so thats safe (somewhat).

Thanks in advance .

Your system views a USB drive the same as any other drive I believe, therefore, any encryption type software should work on your USB drive.

Have a look at some of these

Cheers:
    DjM

Lexar Media made a special one just for that. It's called the JumpDrive secure. It's a 128 meg jumpdrive that costs about $30. The encryption software is included with it. They're even available at Wal-Mart.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

If there was a program that could encrypt a folder instead of just a file, that would be great. Anyone know of any?

[edit]Preferably free [?edit]

If you have PGP you could use the PGP disk software to create an encrypted disk on the drive, then everything is encrypted until you put your password in.

Only problem is its only going to work on a machine with PGP and your key.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

AO French Antique News Whore
    Their a lot of utilites can block access to all your usb key data unless the password is enter at first. My cheap USB came with one of those program. Check your CD on of this nice program.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    If there was a program that could encrypt a folder instead of just a file, that would be great. Anyone know of any?

Cybr1d, check out the link I provided above, one of the programs listed there I believe will suit your needs.

This encryption software will encrypt your entire hard disk (including your operating system) using a "fast AES algorithm". It also supports the encryption of floppy disks, memory sticks and other removable devices. Even your Windows hibernation file is stored encrypted on the disk.
    CompuSec

Now I haven't used this program, but I am going to give it a go on my USB drive.

Cheers:

[edit]and it's free [/edit]
    DjM

use pgp encryption, that way the date is stored scrambled.

becuase theres a controller and a storage "chip" the password is stored on the controller and your information is stored on the storage.

It is easy enough to open up a pen drive and put the storage chip (a serail eeprom) in a programmer and pull information off it,

if its encrypted you've pulled off the cipher text which is useless near enough, if its encrypted its alot harder to break that encryption. If its just plaintext on the IC !!bang!! youve got the data, easy

The password is a crap method as its easy to defeat

PM me if you want more information on this method

i2c

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Cybr1d

Use pkzip/winzip with a password?

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

steve, I just want to put a password on a folder, that way Only I can have access to it . If I zip it, then i'd have to unzip and rezip everytime I use it (which is often). Thank you for your help everyone . I really appreciate it. Djm, i'll give that program a go. Thnx for the link

Cheers,

P.S. GO PATS!