Thread: Don't You Just Hate It

Don't You Just Hate It

Like the title implies; Don't you just hate it when you forget the root password to one of your systems? But the real kicker to this situation is that I can remember basically what it is...Damn you long passwords that keep people from breaking into my system.

*deep exhale*

nuff said.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Happens to the best of us. I can top that though. I once lost my root password shortly after a fresh install.

Talk about a bad morning.

This is when you hope that you've left lilo fairly open and just boot init 1. Then it's just a matter of changing your password... However I've done this before and I'll agree with ya.. it definately sucks.

The first day i got my laptop I began setting it up while a friend who was over when it came to my door was talking to me, i ended up putting in a different password than i had intended and after i dropped her off at home i had to completely reinstall everything to get into my system lol,
    Anyone know any backdoors for the xp login screen that would have prevented that work?
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Boot with knoppix - It will let you at the data

I'm sure once you've done that you can find a tool to crack the password file

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

No I just reinstalled it. I hadn't done too much so it didn't really matter. I thougt about trying to crack the password but it would have taken forever (the password was 12 chars long with uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and a special character). So the world is a better place now that I can actually access my other system again.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-