Thread: source code

Lightbulb source code

i was just wondering, how can i view the source code of an exe file??
    is there any software for this purpose...
    riya
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

You can't..well, not exactly. Sometimes the developers make source code available on their websites. I hav a feeling that is not what you are looking for.

A hex editor will give you a "raw" look at a file, but unless you a re some kind of hexadecimal guru, it probably won't make alot of sense to you.

You want a disassembler (or a debugger). They break down a program into assembly language, which is somewhat easier to understand than straight hexadecimal. There are quite a few available. Slarty summed it up quite well in another post:

A decompiler, actually *attempts* to take the output of a compiler and produce readable (or at least compilable) source code. Because of the nature of compiling, it is quite unusual for it to succeed entirely.

However some languages don't compile "all the way" to machine code - notable examples are Java, .NET (C# and VB.Net etc) and some versions of VB (Not .NET)

These "bytecode" compiled languages are generally much easier to decompile, and produce much more legible results than stuff made in C and compiled to machine code.

However, that still doesn't necessarily mean the output of a decompiler is very legible, even if it's correct. You normally lose the names of local variables, and all the comments, so it can get quite confusing.

Additionally, "obfuscators" are available (for C# and Java anyway) which will rename variables and methods to make them shorter, remove debugging information (line numbers), and generally make life harder for the decompiler to do its work and a human to read the output. They're fairly effective.

Slarty

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...t=disassembler
    Also, if you want to explore, you need to know what you are looking at: http://www.btinternet.com/~btketman/tutpage.html

This is a link to just one of probably thousands of assembly tutorials available.

ya u r right i m not looking for the source code published on sites..
    i am searching for a software which can break the exe file into the code view...

Keep in mind, in most cases, the Eula almosts always forbids disassembling, or reverse engineering. Reverse engineering almost always has negative connotations. It is generally associated with low-life "crackers".

IMHO, forensics is a legitimate discipline within the security field, and since I have yet to see a virus or worm with a Eula, they are fair game. It is in this instance that 'reversing' is acceptable.

There are tons of disassemblers on the web. Some of the ones I list are commercial, but if you search carefully, you can find older, free versions that still do the job just fine.

W32dasm- features a debugger, user friendly...
    IdaPro 3.x- not newbie friendly, but powerful
    SoftIce- commercial, very powerful. You can fuxor your computer badly if you are not careful.
    Hiew- old, but still has it's uses

http://home.t-online.de/home/Ollydbg/- good starting point for newbies, it's free, easy to use.

Whatever tool you choose, plan to spend alot of time learning how to use it. Some assembly tutorials are also essential.

thank you!! i m glad i posted this question...

i would love to get more info about the same, if someone has!!