Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reap The Screensaver Password!!!!

Reap The Screensaver Password!!!!

Hi Folks,

Actually, I want to present a cool application that gain the screensaver password, easly.
    this tool simply checks the registery and decrypt it for you.
    I think this tool works only on windows 9x.
    It's Kind an old,,, but good one, isn't it?
    Let me know your opinion guyZ!

Cheers mates.
    Don\'t Be So HumblE>>>>
    You aRe N0T tHaT GreaT<<<<

Well, i wont use it. for one, it doesnt have source included. I have no idea what it could do. Two, i respect the passwords, and know they are there for a reason.

slick

[edit] if you include the source, ill try it out...sorry just a little paranoid...[/edit]
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Hi Death Harvester,

I personally turn all screensavers off.........just added complications IMHO.............I have used the WinNT facility to force a logon after so many minutes/seconds inactivity, that I think is a useful tool.

I think that screensaver passwords are, on balance, dangerous..........lull users into false sense of security...........

"I don't need to get back to my office..........the screensaver will do the security for me " When the attitude shoulkd be "I am going out so I must log out".......It is a big education problem with the users?............your tool is very helpful in demonstrating that issue to them

Cheers

Hi slick8790,

First of all, I didn't supply the application for a malicious purposes or intentions, at all.
    As far as you have an AV and firewall has been up-dated regularly, no fear needed.
    and thanks for participate.
    Don\'t Be So HumblE>>>>

Hey guyz,
    Do I done something wrong or this post is misfit one, If so, I'm really sorry.

nihil
    Thank you for your nice participation.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Bye
    Don\'t Be So HumblE>>>>

Hey Death Harvester,

I do not think that you have done anything wrong.............I have a collection of old machines and perhaps 6,000 viruses/malware........stuff that will not work now is not harmful IMHO?

I think it was the American philosopher George Seteyana (spelling?) who said something like:

"Those who will not learn from history are condemned to repeat the past"

I was always impresssed by that

My advice has always been to get an old machine to test things on, NEVER do it on a machine that belongs to another, is shared, or is important to you and your day to day work.

There are senior members on this site who have been kind enough to send me bad stuff so I could let it loose on my "laboratory rat" machines and report back.

I mainly like to test firewalls and AVs, but my speciality is second and third level defences......when the firewall and AV fail..........these are the ones that have saved me

Good luck,

And keep posting

Death Harvester,

Some people just tend to get their britches in a bunch when a newbie posts something that is Anti-security... such as your tool. I think the tool could be a benifit to an admin who needs to get on a particular workstation to log out that user, but if it only works in WIN9X then that may lower its value to todays admins a little. Not many networks are using win 98 any more for workstations. I think you brought up a fine topic for discussion, you just approached it wrong. No harm done.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

aeallison,

Nice post to a new guy who could not have meant any harm. I believe that the tool could be useful, as it can be used for demonstration/educational purposes without harm.............and it is relatively easy to get the kit to run it on?

I would not like to run security demos on the real system? it is all part of user education....or do I see things that differently?

Cheers

Hi nihil,
    Well, thank you, for your valuable advice, and I'll regard it!
    The quotation you provided is very nice.
    All the best mate
    Don\'t Be So HumblE>>>>

aeallison,
    can you show how to approach it in the right manner?
    thanks again nihil
    Don\'t Be So HumblE>>>>