Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reap The Screensaver Password!!!!

Originally posted here by Death Harvester
    aeallison,
    can you show how to approach it in the right manner?
    thanks again nihil
    The best way I would have appoached this would have been like:

I found this cool little utility that I think might benifit some of our community members here at AO. This tool would allow an admin to bypass the password protect on a Win9x workstation that a user set absent mindedly, so he could log that person off without knowing the password. Does anyone here ever have this problem and would it be a useful tool? If so I have provided it to you below...
    I have not tried your tool nor have I downloaded it. Does this help?
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but what I have read is interesting so far!

I personally don't see any harm in what DH posted. I really don't see any harm in posting any old tools or password cracking utilities. These programs should not be a problem with System Administrator today.

Forgive me if I offend anyone here, but their are so many System Administrators and IT managers that don't have enough information security experience that it is no wonder script-kiddies are getting into networks. The old tools and password utilities are what they are using. I perform many network audits, vulnerablility assessments and I have use these same old tools and found many holes that are still open that shouldn't be. Looking for old vulnerabilities is the first place I start in any assessement. Because you must have these closed up first thing which just requires installing patches usually.
    PCTech-Help - FREE computer help and ALL tutorials are VIDEO TUTORIALS. No hand written tutorials here.

Death Harvester.. Just to change the subject .. can you use the Edit button instead of double posting..

By asking for advice you are doing things right..

Cheers..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

" but if it only works in WIN9X then that may lower its value to todays admins a little. Not many networks are using win 98 any more for workstations."

aeallison,

It would seem that this is an incorrect assumption considering M$'s decision to continue support for WIN98 until 2007.

well, aeallison is right according to me...
    its the approach that matters... u framed your question in a negative way...
    everything has its negative and positive points...
    re-frame the question, n i hopoe u will get good response...
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

Well, I am giong to post whatever I think it would be helpful here at AO. Post with my own expressions and thoughts,,,, And even if I done something wrong there are Moderators and Administrators who can direct me to the right way.

And another point, when you see something is wrong, there is somthing called netiquette , we have to respect each other, beacuse we are posting in a respectable place {AO}. In addtion we assumed to gain the knowledge not the unacceptable posts.

About the tool I had attached,,,, to know how the modern things runs you have to be awar and familiar with the old tools,,,, in another hand,,, me and many guyz here are newbies,,,, instead of posting meaningless post ,,, try to give us some clues and hints to the right way,,,
    no offence guys,,,, but this is my point of view.
    Don\'t Be So HumblE>>>>
    You aRe N0T tHaT GreaT<<<<

Hey Death Harvester,

Don't get all paranoid like me

I understood you perfectly, did I not? One of the beauties of this forum is that it is multinational, but that means that not all members have English as their first language? I suggest that we all bear that in mind Not referring to DH here, but it should be a general consideration?..............BOTH ways?

Also cut a little slack for the short posts.....if you cannot write a language very well you tend to keep it short?...just pass the post by and let someone with a bit more patience answer it?

I feel that you should speak as you find, as I feel that that is both democratic and professional? and certainly within the mission statement of AO (on the front page?)

Anyone like to meet me in a battle of English language , grammar and syntax?............. I may not be any good at Counter strike but....

I believe that you should post as you feel, within reason, and what you posted was well "within reason" IMHO, Death Harvester.

Take care mate, and keep posting!

Cheers

WOW I can't believe people at ao are still so tight in the ass about everything. When are people going to learn there is no such thing as control (just let it go it will be ok) Anyways couldn't help but notice that there was a win 98 screen saver hack on and thought I might provide another tool which I created in vb in 2000 (yes it's old). THIS IS A HACKING TOOL DO NOT USE UNLESS YOU WANT TO HACK INTO ANOTHER LAMERS COMPUTER. neeer I said it and I don't give a ****. So what you do is download the .zip file. Then burn the files to a cd. When a computer is locked with the screen saver pass just open the cdrom and put he cd with the files burnt on and whalla no more screen saver. It's so easy my retarded aunt could do it and she can only count to 3. hahahha.

Later all

I am taking it that my posts in this thread were a bit misunderstood, I am really not trying to cause/ or force proper netiquette.

For ease of understanding... My first post to D.H. ....

Death Harvester,

Some people just tend to get their britches in a bunch when a newbie posts something that is Anti-security... such as your tool. I think the tool could be a benifit to an admin who needs to get on a particular workstation to log out that user, but if it only works in WIN9X then that may lower its value to todays admins a little. Not many networks are using win 98 any more for workstations. I think you brought up a fine topic for discussion, you just approached it wrong. No harm done.
    Then nihil posted...

aeallison,

Nice post to a new guy who could not have meant any harm. I believe that the tool could be useful, as it can be used for demonstration/educational purposes without harm.............and it is relatively easy to get the kit to run it on?

I would not like to run security demos on the real system? it is all part of user education....or do I see things that differently?

Cheers
    I maybe should have posted an opinion to this but I figured my next post would cover it, after I read D.H.'s next two posts...

Hi nihil,
    Well, thank you, for your valuable advice, and I'll regard it!
    The quotation you provided is very nice.
    All the best mate

aeallison,
    can you show how to approach it in the right manner?
    thanks again nihil
    I then posted the passage below...

The best way I would have appoached this would have been like:

I found this cool little utility that I think might benifit some of our community members here at AO. This tool would allow an admin to bypass the password protect on a Win9x workstation that a user set absent mindedly, so he could log that person off without knowing the password. Does anyone here ever have this problem and would it be a useful tool? If so I have provided it to you below...

I have not tried your tool nor have I downloaded it. Does this help?
    I was simply trying to help D.H. I had zero intentions of causing any problems...

I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

In computer security, there is no such thing as paranoia, only preparation.

Now, would everyone kindly step down off the soap box so I can set fire to them.

He got a tool that has been used since what, 1998? 1999? It still works, and that's sad. These tools are VERY useful. I'v used them here at home to try and show how insecure a certain OS is.

Honestly, come on now, if a company is still running Windows 98, that's fine, but if they are allowing these old as piss holes to still exist, than, well, quite frankly, **** em'. Let someone own their asses and then maybe they will do something about it.

It's a cycle really. Someone doesn't patch, or try to secure the OS, they get owned, the CEO flips, and then we all get paid to do a network security analysis, and fix problems. See how that works? We all still win Some lamer bastard get's bragging rights, we get cash, and the company get's better security.