Thread: Ideas pleez

Ideas pleez

Just for the fun of it i wanna know if someone cans suggest a way in which when i boot my pc and if a default action is not performed my pc gets shutdown
    Keep thinking

Well,

There is the boot up password(BIOS power up).

Within Windows (NT family) you could get it to shut down if a valid user id/password is not entered within a certain time?

Do you mean that you would want it to actually power down?

Hope this little bit helps......I would need more information on your setup and installation to give you more

Cheers

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Under what OS? Are you looking for a program that requires a keysequence or something without prompting for it? What about using a BIOS startup password?

A Little more detail about what you want. If it's not a WinXP/2000 or Linux PC, you can add some input functions into the autoexec.bat file, combined with the ctty nul and ctty con commands. Only drawback is that they can still press <F8> to bypass the script or <Ctrl>+<C> to kill the process. On XP or Linux, I don't know.

<EDIT> : My dial-up is too slow.......

you didn't list your os so im assuming its windows (linix users almost always do) and an nt based os being as its 2004.

setup a shutdown utility to run as a service. you can put it in an obscure folder this way instead of the start-up folder where it can be deleated and not work on re-boot. this will give you 20 seconds to abort the shutdown by entering "shutdown /a" in the run box or create a bat file with the command
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

heres a copy of a shutdown manager and a utility that will make anything run as a service

just type services for the help file.

services is made by hideout inc but i dont remember where i got the shutdown comand from. i think it was a link from the ms site
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I got an idea too.... use a better title for your threads and you will get more results.

tedob1 has the best idea though.... unless you want to be able to set something specific that they have to type
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Edit autoexec.bat and add the shutdown command with the -t xx switch (shutdown -t xx) or make a batch file and add it to the Startup folder:

Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)
    -i Display GUI interface, must be the first option
    -l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
    -s Shutdown the computer
    -r Shutdown and restart the computer
    -a Abort a system shutdown
    -m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
    -t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
    -c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
    -f Forces running applications to close without warning
    -d [u] [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
    u is the user code
    p is a planned shutdown code
    xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)
    yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

Then create a batch file on the desktop (or another location of your choosing) that contains the "shutdown -a" command (mentioned by Tedob1). You would then have to double click this file in the time specified or the computer would shutdown, reboot, or any other switch you specify. Hope this helps.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

AO French Antique News Whore
    I use a utilites call Automate that can do a lot of specefic action when I boot up my compter, when I type a word, a short-cut, etc.

With this program, your problem would be a joke
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Well i run Win2k pro.Txs for all the reponses,
    CAn someone explain these .
    " ctty nul and ctty con commands"

Those are all commands/streams for the MS-DOS console. I found this website which should give you a good idea of it. http://www.computerhope.com/cttyhlp.htm

If you need a program that can install things as services under Windows NT/2K/XP, I have written one myself for Folding@Home. PM me and I can tweak the name of the service so it doesn't show up as "Folding@Home Distributed Computing Client." With the way I distribute it I include the source code so you can do those changes yourself.

And for Windows 9x, there was that little registry trick so that whenever a certain user logged in they were automatically logged out. To acturally get in and stay in, you had to edit the registry. It was mainly used to protect against people clicking cancel at the login prompt...

Edit: Post 274... Will I hit 275 today, tomorrow, or next week...? or...?