Thread: Wireless Interent

Wireless Interent

Hi guys, just a quick question,

I've currently got a laptop (notebook) connected to the interent with a cable modem through my network card.

What exactly do i need if i want to be able to move around with my laptop and still access the internet (i.e in another room), without having to have it plugged directly into my modem??

I know i need some sort of card & transmitter, but can any1 clarify this for me please, also any ideas where to purchases these, prices etc?

Also how far could i be away from the actual modem point and still be able to access the internet,

Thanks in advance !

Well, for one you would need a wireless router and a wireless internet card. My personal favorite is the Linksys Wireless G Router with a wireless G card. I think the router was around USD$80 and the card was around USD$50, but dont quote me on that, as i got mine about a year ago. As for how far away you could be, it really depends. The max i have gotten has been about 50-60 feet, but i think you may be able to get more.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

i would havto agree with slick on the router part, but on the card...
    if you have Windows 98 with that card you are screwed (i dont know about XP or any of the others..) i got that card on my laptop which obviously has 98 and after hours of frustrating work the card still didnt F***ing work. after that i went out and bought a microsoft produced card and i got it installed and running in about 10 seconds, it works fine with the wireless g router i have.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

ok so i need a router & also a 802.11g Wireless LAN PCMCIA Card?

got that card on my laptop which obviously has 98 and after hours of frustrating work the card still didnt F***ing work.
    Yeah, i had to do that too, but it only took me like, 2 hours. I would have returned it, but forgot my receipt .

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

ps , i got XP

Well, you know, dont take the chance of it not working. just buy like one microsoft produced ones, as since it worked so easily for deimos, and both of us had some trouble with the wireless G. Look on bizrate.com, and look at some cards. i found they had some good prices.

slick

I use the Orinoco Pc card http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/
    And I would also check this site out for Wap's and cards
    http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/....asp?loc=10996