Thread: Microsoft

Microsoft

News
    --------------

"In what could easily be mistaken for an Onion story, Microsoft has unleashed the full fury of its lawyers on 17-year-old Canadian high-school student, Mike Rowe, demanding the handover of his Internet domain. "

The domain? MikeRoweSoft.com. No, seriously.

check it out .... http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/34955.html

To me this seems to be a really low move by micro$oft. Bad micro$oft, BAD !
    Anyone agree
    -

LMFAO

I'd wish I had an idea like that..

but the funny thing is .. I don't know if Canada has a good law for things like this..

the guy's name is Mike Rowe, he makes software.. so MikeRoweSoft is a great name for him..

If he lived in europe.. I'd bet he'd win !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Give the guy a paypal donation to help him fight the lawyers!

www.mikerowesoft.com
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    An updated response to the story from here

MS 'softening' on MikeRoweSoft case

Microsoft has decided to soften its approach in its disagreement with Canadian teenager, Mike Rowe and his www.mikerowesoft.com domain name.

Microsoft spokesman Jim Desler told Reuters last night: "We take our trademark seriously, but in this case a little too seriously."

Desler added that the company is "currently resolving this matter in a way that will be fair to Rowe and satisfy our obligations under trademark law."

This follows Microsoft demanding Rowe relinquish the domain name as it claimed the 17-year old to be "infringing copyright".

The software giant offered Rowe $10 in compensation – the teen Netizen rejected the offer and demanded $10,000 eliciting accusations from the dominant OS manufacturer that he was trying to force a larger settlement.

Reuters adds that the case has generated so much media attention the teenager has had to move his Web site to a larger capacity ISP.

"I never expected this type of feedback. I have put up a defence fund so that I can hire a lawyer to guide me through the process of talking to Microsoft," the boy said.
    I suspect a couple of things happened: 1) they realized it made them look like total idiots (instead of just idiots) 2) he was willing to challenge them (not just a roll-over).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by the_JinX
    If he lived in europe.. I'd bet he'd win !!
    Well, it would depend what country he lived in, because if I recall correctly the Europeans courts only deal with human rights matters (the European court of human rights) and breaches of EU legislation (European Court of Justice) and I doubt this would come under with of those categories. I bet he'd win his case in Germany, but probably not in the UK given some of the stupid decisions our judges make.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Actually I don't think he would even get a letter?

1. Mike Rowe is his proper name, and that really matters here.
    2. English trade name law is based on "looks like" NOT "sounds like" because the concept pre-dates radio and television.
    3. You would have to prove intent to deceive and damage to trade etc.

Just my thoughts, and it is a long time since I did commercial law

Cheers

Well in theory he wouldn't get a letter if he lived in the UK, but when you have a judicial system that can make town councils cough up thousands of pounds because someone tripped over a paving stone , can imprison people for defending their home and allow drugs dealers to claim for loss of income - you never know what daft decision will be made next.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

Just an update if anybody is still interested.