Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with compiling

Question Problems with compiling

sI am using a suse 8.2 for the last month and have some problem with compiling: I treid to compile xine,john the ripper, csound, GSMP and even if i did everything that was written on the instructions (config,make,make install) i have the following problems:
    xine: there is no xine binary only a xine-config think which i dont know what to do
    the others: no binary existing (searched everywhere) and compiling ended with a message sth like:1 or 2 errors returned
    Can anybody help with any of these?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Did you do ./configure or ./config?

What errors came up after the first portion, if any?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I did ./configure...I searched on the logfile of the installation to see what were the errors...i did not make a lot but i think it was sth about some undefined variables or sth like that....i tried to recompile them but it is always the same....anyway thanks for taking time to reply
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

Hrmm.. a few thoughts:

When I asked if any errors appeared when you did ./configure I was thinking of immediately after. Also, what user are you when you do these compiles? If you're not root, have you tried it as root?

Did you install all the development tools? (could you be missing some parts)

Perhaps some of these tools are too "new" for the version of GCC or other libraries?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

No there were not such errors....i did the compiling as a root...now about the developpment tools i just downloaded the tar files so normally there should not be missing anything.....but maybe you could be right about the version of gcc....how could i 'upgrade' it? (is that the right word) Should i download the new gcc package? and how i will replace it with the old one? Tfh (thanks for help)
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????

GCC Homepage. And RTFM.

After watching thoroughly the log file of GSMP and Csound i found out that the problem is that my gtk version is too old... now downloading the new version....concerning john the ripper there is sth really mysterious happening: i do the compiling pretty well,i get the john executable (i can see it it exists!!) also the other binaries but when i enter the word john or unshadow or anything else it just says: command not found...i tried it from a root console also but it s the same problem...how can that happen??? As to xine: the xine config command has some options but they dont seem to fit for seeing a movie..anyway is there any other good prog for wathcing DVDs? Again thanks....

Are you typing john or ./john?

For john the ripper: i am on the right path (when i do dir the binaries are there!) but still no solution...

Ok but answer the question: which do you type?