Thread: WinXP Pro & Longhorn

WinXP Pro & Longhorn

I know longhorn isn't out yet but i got a beta version and just wanted to see how it is...just curiosity til it gets out...anyways my problem is that i have 2 disks and here is the info all about them...

Master Hard Disk (C:\): 38 GB (boot disk)
    Partition 1: 35 GB
    Partition 2: 3 GB (System sav)

Slave Disk (D:\): 80 GB
    Partition 1: 70 GB
    Partition 2: 10 GB

OK now you got the info....My XP is installed on the C disk of 35 GB and uses the 3 GB system sav...i got the new HD of 80 GB for all kind of stuff but now i got the Longhorn beta and i wanted to partition it...partition magic would not load so i use the Western Digital Lifeguard Tools to make the 2 partitions...when i make them i have to options to set it as an additional hard disk storage or as a new booting device...i set it as a new booting device 1st but then it started copying files from my C:\ so i canceled it and i do it again by setting it to additional storage device and it all works fine and the setup of longhorn also...until it actually wants to run it...it sais something like bad boot disk or partition or something...and i resume to windows XP and the slave disk is there but doesnt show any GB...i do know how to fix that but how do i actually install the Longhorn as a OS under the Slave Disk Partition 2...?
    Thanks in advance
    peace

OK, I haven't actually done it myself. but I can see a major problem?

You have to set it up as a booting device or it will not work?.....yes it will COPY from C:/ why not?

At the moment you have it as a storage device so it is just the same as a cd/dvd that has not got a boot sector?........it is just data.

Try again, and let it do the copy from C:/

Good luck

OK i try that in couple mins but what happens to my windowsxp and my C:/ disk then...
    do i delte the data off my C because its copied on D
    and what if i wanna set the boot device to C again...?
    could you explain those 3 please...thanks

Banned
    Thats what happens when you install illegal software.

I dont have time right now to work on your problem, i'll post tommorow.

If it is a true "copy" I would guess that it just needs the info from C:/..........?

Hey, like I said I have not tried it myself.........just don't allow "move" and you will be OK

Cheers

It's not really up to the Longhorn...it just needs to start on the boot disk which curently is the C:
    but im not touching anything before i get some info on all this...
    what happens to my windowsxp and my C:/ disk then...
    do i delte the data off my C because its copied on D
    and what if i wanna set the boot device to C again...?
    never done this before and i really dont wanna mess up my stuff...at least not now
    peace