Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton firewall blocking network access

Norton firewall blocking network access

I have two computers on my home network, a desktop (xp home) and a laptop (xp pro). Both are running norton internet security 2003. The problem is that norton's firewall is blocking their attempts to share files. I tried placing them in the trusted zones, I added new rules to accept all of each other's traffic, I double checked the ip addys and the netmasks, and they are all correct. I know it is the firewall because if I disable it everything is fine. Enabled and I can't even get a ping. When I boot into linux it is fine too.
    I must be missing something simple...anyone have any ideas?
    thanks

When you add the systems to the trusted zone, choose "individually" and add all IP Addys including the gateway or router (example- 192.168.0.1 192.168.1.1 192.168.0.2) separated by spaces. Be sure to allow All ports and protocols...TCP and UDP. Hope this helps.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Thanks for the reply, but it still doesn't want to work. I had done as you said with the trusted zone under the home networking tab, but just for good measure, I also did it to the general rules when I got home today. Still nothing. I was hoping that someone else might have had a similar situation and solved it, but it seems that I am unique in my futility.

Damn....I had the same problem but I can't remember how I fixed it (I don't use NIS anymore). Try this link: http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/symatec-firewall.htm it describes a technique for Activesync. Instead of the Activesync executables use svchost.exe. That maybe how I did it. Also check the Intrusion Detection settings to make sure your allowing yourself access. Good luck again.

Regal Making Handler
    Hi
    Just open the assistant from the main dialog box run through the setup of the firewall at one point you will be asked if you want to run the home network wizard, make sure all your network components are connected then run the home network wizard and net Nis sort it's self out.

Jinx
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Thanks guys, but still no go.
    Wazz: Thanks for the link, I set up svchost.exe to permit all on both machines, and still it didn't work.

Jinxy: I ran the wizard, and it said it couldn't find any network adapters. Funny, cause I am typing this on the laptop. (It actually has two adapters, pcmcia card and built in eth)

I'm thinking I might just drop the norton firewall and grab one of the free versions of za or something. I have a built in firewall on my router that I scanned from the outside today with nmap and nessus and it seems to be working just as I set it up.

Yeah....get Sygate Personal Firewall Pro!

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I don't know how much this would actually help, but here is the firewall rulsets provided by Symantec for NIS and NPF.

Norton Firewall Rulesets
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Originally posted here by ShagDevil
    I don't know how much this would actually help, but here is the firewall rulsets provided by Symantec for NIS and NPF.

Norton Firewall Rulesets
    That's more than I found on the symantec website when I was searching, thanks. I am in linux right now but when I get home tomorrow I will try removing the rule concerning windows file and print sharing. I added rules that were supposed to supercede it (as per norton documentation) and it didn't work but who knows. And at the bottom of that link was another one with instructions to return norton to its default rules, maybe I have one in there somewhere I created messing it all up. I don't think so, but maybe...

Wazz: Is Sygate your favorite? How would you compare it to norton?

Getting Sygate sounds like a great idea

As to not spam though... you may try adding your broadcast address to your sharing rule.
    $pak = me;