Thread: RedHat 9 not installing

RedHat 9 not installing

I recently bought a boxed set of RedHat Linux 9 and just tried to install it 2 days ago. Everything went fine in the installation until I started to install the packages. It created the partitions and formatted them, and started to install. So far so good. But, when it was finished with disk 1 it asked for disk 2, which I proceeded to insert. Now, anaconda tells me that I have the wrong disk, ejects it, and asks for it again. I tried inserting all the other CDs, in case it was labelled incorrectly, unsuccessfully. Also, disk 2 is recognized as disk 2 during a mediacheck. I don't know if I have a defective set, if this is a bug that was never fixed, or what. Should I try a minimal install without X (which is on disk 2 along with some other crap) or get a new set. Any input would be appreciated.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Since I never had the problem installing my RH it may be a defective disk.

Do you have another server, if so you could try loading the ISOs there, NFS sharing them and doing an NFS network install.

That should also tell you if you have a problem with the ISO for Disc 2

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Unfortunately, I bought the CDs because I have a dial-up connection, and downloading the ISOs would take forever. I have been searching, and it seems like others have had the same problem with the RedHat install, but no solutions have been found.

I contacted RedHat and with no hassle they are going to overnight me a new set.

I think I found what the problem was. I just got the new disks, and it appears that they revised their installation program. I bought mine from CompUSA and they were the old edition. Unfortunately, I now need a new set as they sent me disk 1 with a huge surface defect that made my drive spin and make strange noises during the media check (froze at 52%).

What a headache!

I just installed the Publisher's Edition and am using the Sams Teach Self book to learn Red Hat. It installed fine. Maybe you should uses Flashget to download the iso from www.linuxiso.org. It may take a few days, but I found I could still use my computer other things when it was downloading. I know it's a pain when loading things doesn't work right. Good luck. Check Google for Flashget.
    cybnut

As a 2nd thought, you wrote that you get Red Hat 9 from CompUSA. I saw they had Suse 9.0 on sale for about 30 bucks. Suse's fun to pay with. I have 8.1. Just a thought.
    cybnut

Thanks Fred, I definetly want to try SuSE eventually, but cash is tight for me now, so I'd rather get RedHat working before I get a new distro.

Downloading a 700MB ISO is not really an option for me. I have dial-up, so I'd be tying up the phone for at least a few days (My father can't go 15 minutes without checking his E-Mail).