Thread: kernel upgrade..what should i rtfm?

kernel upgrade..what should i rtfm?

I want to use a new kernel what should i do? Dont bother to explain i just cannot find what to read...should i compile the new kernel? And what will happen whith the old one?

Compiling a kernel is not too terribly difficult if you have good instructions. What flavor of Linux are you using?

In what is probably an overly simplified explanation, when you compile your new kernel, it should add a new entry to your boot loader (or you may have to do it manually...again it depends on your flavor)... So when you boot up, both kernels will show up, and you choose which one you want to use (which kernel).. if you mess up, you can boot into the old version, and try and correct the new version.

To use a weak analogy.. you have 2 sets of slightly different blueprints for building a house... you can choose which set of blueprints you want to use. When you get done, you still have a house that will be a little different than if you had used the first set of blueprints.

Clear as mud?

Ok sort of understood (nice analogy! ) I have a suse 8.2.....what should i rtfm?
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    I wrote a tutorial a while ago on this (eg. the 2.6 kernel that is), and i know most people succeeded with it.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ght=2.6+kernel

Hope this helps,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby