Thread: HDD Partition

Post HDD Partition

Is there anyway to add a partition to an already installed hard disk without having to reformat?

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Great, thanks, one last kinda unrelated question...what do you think would be a good size for a partition that im gonna install redhat or suse?

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

How long is a piece of string?

Ask 2 questions:

1. How big is the total drive. What do you need for the existing OS?
    2. How much do you intend to use the OS..........like if you want to load an office system and some programming tools and a PIM................. How much data to store in this partition?........Games, music, video? Hey we could be talking anything from 8-80Gb?

Make a wishlist and size it.............I know that is hard until you know how much you like the new OS..........sort of catch 22?

Good luck

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    A redhat "load everything" install suggest 5gb for / , Swap would be in excess of that.

That of course doesn't include what you're going to put on the drive afterwards.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

You should always plan on RAM x 2 for swap space, and OS depends on what you'll be doing. I used to have a 14gb partition for linux, it was quite excessive but it did the trick. I did a full install of Mandrake 9, first 2 CDs and it was 3.5GB. I have a RH install that even with all my added stuff sits at 1gb. Becareful with partition magic, it seems to have some issues with drives running SMART. However if you pop in the XP CD and go into a repair console and do a chkdsk /r it'll fix the issues and you'll be good to go.