Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Which version of Linux to use

OK, I have that one burned now.

I guess the time has come to sort out my available hardware and start installing some fresh distros.

Watch this space....................

Yea Nihil has basically always tried stuff out I've told him to look at. When a version of Mandriva came out I liked, he grabbed it, same for most others.

If I were to make a list of what I recommend and what I think the general population should use, it wouldn't be long, it would be this:

SUSE
    Slackware
    Mandriva / Mageia
    Debian

And if someone wanted more than just the usual:

Zeta. Because I miss BeOS.

ZenvenOS - Same reason.

FreeBSD

PC-BSD

ConsoleOne

MoonOS

Kongoni (Because it's Slackware with BSD stuff)

-----------------------------------------------------

There. Every distro of Linux and two BSDs, all of which I use personally. Or, have used and liked.

Last night I spent a few minutes setting up the Window Maker Themes I want.

As most people who use Window Maker here know, it's damn near impossibly to find Window Maker Themes that don't suck anymore.

I remember a while back, years ago, you could go to a web site and there were PAGES of Themes! I know! I had them!

Now? There's ONE ****ing PAGE and it SUCKS! The Themes are ****! So what did I do?

I grabbed my DVDs of my paid for versions of SUSE Linux, popped them into a machine, opened in a file manager, found the Window Maker ****, and I grabbed every Theme those paid Versions of SUSE Linux had, and I copied them ALL over.

I uploaded copies to my Server, then I made a Tarball and Compressed it, and uploaded that. Then I put them on USB Drives.

Then last night I ran tar xzvf on it and opened them up.

Then I ran tar xzvf on each Theme.

Then, I opened a File Manager to my home directorie's GNUstep folder on my FreeBSD box. Then I kept going inside to the Themes and Background's Directory. Once there, I stuck the "style" file in the Themes directory and rename it to whatever the Theme was named.

Afterwards, I right clicked in Window Maker and selected the Themes. I now have Window Maker Themes.

Friend of Site Staff
    AntiX-16, fits on a cd and MX-16 , dvd size.
    Both are bootable and persistence works with the USB.

Code:
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: antix16 Kernel: 4.6.2-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.3)
               Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8 Distro: antiX-16_x64-full Berta Cáceres 26 June 2016
    Machine:   Device: portable System: Dell product: Latitude D630
               Mobo: Dell model: 0KU184 BIOS: Dell v: A15 date: 11/24/2008
    Battery    BAT0: charge: 6.0 Wh 98.0% condition: 6.2/44.0 Wh (14%)
               model: Sanyo DELL 62 status: Charging
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T7250 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7978
               clock speeds: max: 2001 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: intel Resolution: 1280x800@60.02hz
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.6.2-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
               driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 09:00.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Broadcom BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 0c:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (11.6% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: SSD2SC120G1CS175 size: 120.0GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 106G used: 8.8G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
               ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.69GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: N/A
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 151 Uptime: 5:57 Memory: 599.1/3945.6MB
               Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.3.5

May I also add two distros that are a considerable choice for Mac/Win users. I, personally, as a long-time Windows user started with Linux Mint that has a Windows feel and it helped me transision to Linux for good. For Mac users, I suggest Elementary OS. It is really simillar and you probably won't see any difference.