Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which version of Linux to use

When I made this Ubuntu didn't exist

OK, did some updates on this thing, made it look better and fixed some typos and added some newer info to it, and took out my cuss words. Or most of them.

*clears throat*
    Gentoo is teh rock!
    Okay, okay, I'll be quiet now.

Just one thing : there is only one installation type supported in the Gentoo handbook now, and it's stage 3. Therefore, the "3 day orgy of compiles" is a thing of the past, thank god, unless some idiot thinks that he can really make his system faster by recompiling EVERYTHING with his new CFLAGS. Hell, I'd probably do it just because I can.. *chuckle*

The Gentoo developers have quite an attitude, but I am constantly amazed at the amount of work they get done on the distro. In a way, it's bad : you can't afford to miss anything or you're set back.. But the distribution is always up to date.

On the other hand, I guess I'll know to pimp SUSE to my friends now.. It'd be cool if you did a review of Ubuntu as well.

[edit : and don't talk to me about Dettux, I installed the ****ing thing! ]
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Last I heard you'd given up on detuxx

Ubuntu may get reviewed as it's becoming very popular. I installed it on a few boxes to see why but what I saw was Debian with a different name and no root account. Of course a better review can be done later. I'm just not sure why Ubuntu is so popular.

I can't tell either. I installed Debian to test it and I kinda liked the interface -- but I'm now so used to Gentoo's portage that it's hard to change. I certainly don't see any point in dissing a distribution anymore.

But define "given up" ! I brought it .. mostly .. up to date. I think I gave up on the glibc update because I realized that the proper way to upgrade would have been to upgrade all the tools slowly, version by version, and episodically installing a new glibc and compiling against that.. But I did get to compile my own kernel ;-) So it was a victory of some sorts.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

I use Ubuntu 5.10, So far i like very much.

Linux Distribution Chooser

Hi fellow Linux enthusiasts,

I was using the Stumble! Firefox extension to check out new Linux/Unix sites, and I came across this page:
    Linux Distribution Chooser .

This site takes the user through a series of questions designed to match him or her up with the best distribution for his or her skill level and hardware needs. Other factors are also considered.

Only 17 distributions are presently included. But according to the site, they seem to be open to suggestions for others.

If you know someone who is considering Linux, it might be helpful to point them to this site. It might also be helpful to keep in mind here at AO when people ask the perpetual question: "What distro should I use?"
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Note:

I've merged the post Preacherman made with this thread as it's basically the same topic, and of course easier to find. I do what I can to keep this forum of all othwers streamlined and easy to search.

if you can run slackware, you can run anything.

A very good post. I have to agree with Gore about all of them but Suse. I can't stand it for some reason or another. Personally I'm playing around with gentoo, portage rocks. And no, I didn't do the 3day-compileeverything install.
    "I have died, I will die, It's alright, I don't mind"