Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Which version of Linux to use

Quote Originally Posted by rotoR*46 View Post
    this is really a good headstart!
    Mr.gore it would be very kind of you if you can get me installation procedures for SuSE, Fedora please.
    You probably should have messaged gore instead of posting on an old thread. (Last post was back in August). And ffs don't call him "Mr.", he's got a big enough head already.

To answer your question though, it's easier than you might imagine. Google opensuse or suse, download the image, burn this to a disc, insert disc into your computer, reboot computer, follow instructions. Presto you have SuSE.

I've written an install tutorial for multiple version of SUSE in the tutorials forums. Fedora installs go very much the same as SUSE does in terms of what you do overall and how the screens look. So if you read one, you'll most likely have no troubles with the other. That was one of the reasons I didn't write for that as I'd really just be renaming it and moving two steps around.

EDIT:

Keezel, shut up

My oversized hat, can't fit your gigantic head

PS: Be Careful, My Wife just registered and might smack you =p
    Last edited by gore; January 3rd, 2009 at 03:36 AM.

Fedora 10...x86_64
    ------------------

A step backwards in time. Too restrictive when attempting to do 'root' tasks. Sluggish like a Windows XP machine (jerky desktop with heavy disk access). Treats KDE like a step child. You have to be a mind reader if you want to add simple basic plugins for your web browser. To upgrade or recompile the kernel, you must follow their rpmbuild procedures and take 2-3 hours to compile. I rather clone a config file and be on my way. Good luck trying to install a 3d graphic driver. if you download a stock kernel from kernel.org......it screws that up with rpm scripts that corrupt the build. Slow...slow ... slow. Threw the cd in the microwave for this 1.

Biggest complaint..... installed VLC and Kaffeine using the smart packager. Kaffeine is able to grab HDTV broadcast and stream it but can not decode video because of a missing codec.. It does not have all the codecs any other distro would had threw in. It fails. Vlc complains about missing codecs. When I reconfigure to grab the stream from Kaffiene.... they both happy. So long to the smart packager with it's lame dependacies. junked it.

Cant trust this distro with handling codecs and lib files. These people are so scared, they took out DVDcss and other licensed crap that noone enforces anymore.

Mandriva 2009 x86_64
    ---------------------

livecd detected my raid setup. Upon reboot, the livecd didn't bother copying the config file over to the HDD. the config file was empty. The kernel panics and halts. Replacing the conf file is no good. The ram disk needs to know about HDD and mdadm before the Real OS loads. Can't trust this distro with my precious data.... junked it.

Should not take more than a hour to throw a basic image on a HDD.

PCLinuxos 32-bit
    ----------------

still rules. You have to hack or unlock the repository to get this to 2009 standards. Worth it but I feel cheated running a power station on 32bit.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 5th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post
    Fedora 10...x86_64
    ------------------

A step backwards in time. Too restrictive when attempting to do 'root' tasks. Sluggish like a Windows XP machine (jerky desktop with heavy disk access). Treats KDE like a step child. You have to be a mind reader if you want to add simple basic plugins for your web browser. To upgrade or recompile the kernel, you must follow their rpmbuild procedures and take 2-3 hours to compile. I rather clone a config file and be on my way. Good luck trying to install a 3d graphic driver. if you download a stock kernel from kernel.org......it screws that up with rpm scripts that corrupt the build. Slow...slow ... slow. Threw the cd in the microwave for this 1.

Biggest complaint..... installed VLC and Kaffeine using the smart packager. Kaffeine is able to grab HDTV broadcast and stream it but can not decode video because of a missing codec.. It does not have all the codecs any other distro would had threw in. It fails. Vlc complains about missing codecs. When I reconfigure to grab the stream from Kaffiene.... they both happy. So long to the smart packager with it's lame dependacies. junked it.

Cant trust this distro with handling codecs and lib files. These people are so scared, they took out DVDcss and other licensed crap that noone enforces anymore.

Mandriva 2009 x86_64
    ---------------------

livecd detected my raid setup. Upon reboot, the livecd didn't bother copying the config file over to the HDD. the config file was empty. The kernel panics and halts. Replacing the conf file is no good. The ram disk needs to know about HDD and mdadm before the Real OS loads. Can't trust this distro with my precious data.... junked it.

Should not take more than a hour to throw a basic image on a HDD.

PCLinuxos 32-bit
    ----------------

still rules. You have to hack or unlock the repository to get this to 2009 standards. Worth it but I feel cheated running a power station on 32bit.
    I got kicked off a mailing list once for calling the head of Mandrake Security an ass and saying he was better suited to garbage collecting. It was worth it because he seemed to take it personally and they finally fixed a few things I was mad about.

Fedora is crap, and I've told one of their guys at RedHat about that over a SUSE mailing list he replied to talking about MP3 support and how "If we could we would drop that into Fedora tomorrow" and I said "How about dropping Fedora Altogether and going back to RedHat boxed versions for less than 100 dollars because Fedora is unstable crap" and he didn't say a word...

I've used enough distros now that I can Honstly say that when it comes to Linux, I only use this anymore:

1. SUSE (Whooo shocking!)

2. Slackware

3. Mandriva ... Only on certain machines though...For some reason, out of the box, it's broken with some of the machines I have here, so I use it, but only on my laptop, and even then I throw Slackware and SUSE on that too.

I miss the old RedHat...Well, just 8 and 9, the other ones sucked too lol.

Oh and SUSE Linux 8.2 Professional...I still have at least one machine with that installed, and the funny thing is this machine has on board networking, sound and video, and works out of the box better than a brand new shiny install of the latest from Microsoft, Mandriva, and a few others I won't bring up. and this is hardware that came out years after that was released and it still not only found it but configured it for me without a press of even two buttons.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Oh and SUSE Linux 8.2 Professional...I still have at least one machine with that installed, and the funny thing is this machine has on board networking, sound and video, and works out of the box better than a brand new shiny install of the latest from Microsoft, Mandriva, and a few others I won't bring up. and this is hardware that came out years after that was released and it still not only found it but configured it for me without a press of even two buttons.
    I'm gonna try Suse. Thanks

I'm gonna try Suse. Thanks
    That's a nice build of SUSE. If I can get Nvidia drivers to compile on this baby then it's a go for production. Found my raids automatically and ran into no slowdowns or speed bumps. KDE is comfortable to work with. You can right click to delete, rename, copy, and move files around without any interaction using the keyboard. Speed!

model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
    cpu MHz : 2249.921
    bogomips : 4499.84

PCLinuxos
    Bogomips: ‎4500.65
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 9th, 2009 at 05:18 PM.

I used to dual-boot PCLinuxOS on my laptop with XP Pro. I liked it, although I didn't have access to the updated repositories due to to being too cheap to pay for access. For the heck of it, I replaced it with Ubuntu and it works pretty well for the minor things I use the laptop for.

I've thought several times I would like to try Suse, but have never taken the plunge. May download a vm of it and take it for a spin.
    KP

That's a nice build of SUSE. If I can get Nvidia drivers to compile on this baby then it's a go for production. Found my raids automatically and ran into no slowdowns or speed bumps. KDE is comfortable to work with. You can right click to delete, rename, copy, and move files around without any interaction using the keyboard. Speed!

model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
    cpu MHz : 2249.921
    bogomips : 4499.84

PCLinuxos
    Bogomips: ‎4500.65
    Grab the drivers from the Nvidia web ssite for your card, they make one for Linux, or just add the Nvidia repo to YAST2 and grab them, and then shut X down, with init 3, log inas root, and type this:

sh NVIDIADriverName

Hit Enter

It won't usually find what it tries to download, and then makes the driver. Start X again and use Sax2 if you wanna look at the configuration with 3D. Should work fine as Nvidia supports UNIX OSs. I have had problems with some cards, but most of them work by just doing that. Older cards may need the older vesion of the driver. Just read which ones are supported in which version of the driver and find yours.

Quote Originally Posted by KPryor View Post
    I used to dual-boot PCLinuxOS on my laptop with XP Pro. I liked it, although I didn't have access to the updated repositories due to to being too cheap to pay for access. For the heck of it, I replaced it with Ubuntu and it works pretty well for the minor things I use the laptop for.
    If you still have access to Pclinxos. Add 'sam', and 'testing' to upgrade to 2009. If you want kde4, add 'kde4' to the repository and point it to the 'Sam' linux distro. Pclinuxos speaks mandrake, mandriva configs.

The best way to unlock anything Linux is to browse the ftp sites the repos are using. If you get close enough to the parent directory, you will find upgrades and builds for the all linux versions.

if you want get access to pay-per-download stuff, use google. Lots of fools out there post keys and certificates to unlock such stuff

*This world isn't designed for sheeps*