Thread: Any thoughts on this...?

Any thoughts on this...?

http://www.microsuck.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

I would like the opinion from you pro's on this. What do you think of it? Is this ok ?
    And is this really a factoid as to what XP concerns...Is the files really that hidden on XP, concidering this was written for windos-98, if I get it properly

Patric.
    You start to wonder if you really know yourself, when you smell your exkrements...

Ok....perhaps thats true, but i wouldn't take that individual's opinion for much since he dedicates so much time hating on M$. Perhaps he's full of hate, and perhaps he's just trying to educate the public ....HMmmmm another thing to think about .

Frankly... I found it a good site if u ever need to find alternatives to microsoft.. he a huge of alternatives.....

As regards article of MS creating further files and not deleting the Internet history & E-Mails.... I guess it may be for govt and oher institutions to be able to retrieve the data incase they ever need to..... I guess that to only if the comp user is not tech savvy... I dont see any other benefit that microsoft can derive out of this......
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

If you know what to look for, those files are quite obvious. The files that are truely hidden on an NTFS volume are: $Mft, $MftMirr, $LogFile, $Volume, $AttrDef, $, $Bitmap, $Boot, $BadClus, $Secure, $Upcase, and $Extend. Therefore, that dude should learn a bit more before he throws a hissy fit. Just my opinon.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Regal Making Handler
    Not to mention the hidden ntfs data streams. But there was still some good info there, thanks Pattman.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

you must mean the alternate data streams..

that's what they use on XP, as long as you use NTFS !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

If it is actually sending off data, why have non of my IDS, sniffer, or firewall outbound sniffers caught any MS data?

Custom User
    Wazz, if you had read even the start of the article properly, you would have seen that the article was mainly aimed at win9.x users (ME comes under that category). Since, as far as I am aware, win9.x does not use NTFS, I doubt that there would be any point adding that to his article.

You should also note that the article was not aimed at people who could have found these files themselves.

ac

I agree, I really did just "skim" that article quick. I was replying to the post more than the article because he said:
    And is this really a factoid as to what XP concerns...Is the files really that hidden on XP
    My mistake.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

My .. The Read is somewhat thought provoking isnt It.

Cheers
    [gloworange]The Only Way to be Safe is To Never Be Secure. [/gloworange]
    Benjamin Franklin