Thread: Help

Help

I am new here and just not starting to get into the Networking world. I want to be a Network Security Administrator (or something to that extent), and was hoping for some advice or suggestions from any of you here that know about that. This job can also sometimes be called a "white hat hacker", who hacks for a profession and does it for the good of the company and in no way tries to be malicious. Again I would appreciate any help.

Dead Man Walking
    first bit of advice. READ READ READ READ. Not trying to be a smart ass but it is one of the mpost important steps to learning. Next, set up a small test network at home. Even if its just a couple of 233mhtz doorstops. Do not hack outside that network. That gives you both perspectives and it keeps you out of trouble as well. As far as how to set up the small network for "wargames" MsMittens has written an excelent series of tutorials on the subject. Learning to write code helps but dont try to leanr to much at one time. As a network admin the biggest problem you will face is script kiddies so learn about their tools and how they work. And did i mention reading? seriously that is the only real way to learn the things you want to learn

You should probably work your way up to "White Hat Hacker". Usually thats called a Pen tester. The best thing to do would be to get on a router team or something in networking. If you don't understand the basics of networks you will fall flat on your face when it comes time to do an entire network assessment (which could result in getting fired!). Knowing the OS's is important too (all this is assuming you have a little system administriation under your belt, as a majority of the IT people break into the field as some sort of admin). You can't just become a Security Engineer, it takes experience, putting in your time in the trenches and knowing you "stuff". Like I said, an security person with a weak networking background (or IT background for that matter) is a shortly employed security person....Also, all the certs in the world are not gonna help you unless you are putting your fingers on the keyboard and are at it daily....

Im in German class right now, lol. you probably want to start with C++ as your first programming language... also when you do get your network setup, start with Linux, so you can better understand how a network works. as said before, the most helpful thing you can do to improve your knowledge of computers is to READ! also search on google, remember google is your best friend, you can find just about anything on it.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

you probably want to start with C++ as your first programming language...
    I disagree with this...i think if he is just starting off, he should go to some easier ones like...perl or pascal then maybe advance to C++ but each individual has different steps of learning... you might wanna check out this site which i find very useful

PS. be more specific when you make the thread...'HELP' is really not enough
    peace

Any network administrator with permission [written premission from the company] can run vulnerability testing on the network and that seems like what you want to do. This is a form of trying to hack your network in order to find the vulnerabilities. So, I would go with any networking certification. Do you prefer Windows. Linux, or Unix. I would make sure you know all platforms top to bottom. That is a sure fire way to impress your interviewer.

As all of our coharts have said, "READ"! In fact read until your eyes bleed and the bones are sticking out of your fingers from using your keyboard so much. And when you need a break from reading. Learn the operating system(s) you are already using, inside and out. See what makes it tick so to speak. Then if it's not a Linux os, get one or two. Start with one that is user friendly and learn it inside and out, and then get away from the GUI's! It's command line time. Update the kernel, apply patches and the like, install programs with & without RPMs, use all the various commands, etc. Then it's time for the protocols, TCP/IP protocol stack, routing and routed protocols, the seven layers of the OSI Model, and so on.....

The list can go on and on, but as everyone will tell you, there are no shortcuts. It will take time.

And beware of the dark side. Strong are the temptations.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: Help

Originally posted here by Perfect64cc
    I am new here and just not starting to get into the Networking world. I want to be a Network Security Administrator (or something to that extent), and was hoping for some advice or suggestions from any of you here that know about that. This job can also sometimes be called a "white hat hacker", who hacks for a profession and does it for the good of the company and in no way tries to be malicious. Again I would appreciate any help.
    If you are wanting to join a company that does penetration/vunerability testing they can be difficult to get into.

Find one near you & offer to make the tea or sweep the floors for free in exchange for an uderstanding of what the job involves.

I think you would find that the job is very different from your idea of it.

Expect long and irregular hours, banging your head against brick walls, frustration and hours of reasearch, all wof wich will prove useless most of the time.

I don't think it's gonna be surfing round the internal network of coporations exploiting systems except on rare occasions.

Just a thought.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com