Thread: Wireless Networks in my Hood!

Wireless Networks in my Hood!

I have this ibook that was issued to me by my high school and it has a wireless nic in it(they call it an airport, lol) and i was at home looking at the networks that i could connect to and i discovered that one of my neighbors has a wireless network(and that i could mooch of of their internet service ) i was wondering if there was a way for me to find out who the networkd belongs to without asking door to door? i got their ip by getting on to their network and going to www.whatismyip.com but so far all whois has been able to tell me is that their isp is comcast. its wierd cuz i cant ping them or anything from my other computers(PC's) and none of them seem computer literate enough to know what a firewall is, much less use one.

Your highschool gave you an ibook? thats awesome. but seriously,

and none of them seem computer literate enough to know what a firewall is, much less use one.
    chances are, since they have a wireless network, they are connecting through a router. AFAIK, most routers have hardwired firewalls meaning that the router itself acts as a firewall.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

i'm connecting through a router that has firewall capability and i can still get pinged. i guess they just have a really nice router, some of these people are hella rich

That could really soon turn Illegal. Netstumbler will get you some more information on the person using it, depending if the person gave detail in his config. I'd be really pissed if you used my bandwith in the middle of a CAL Match, and I'd def. notice if any other MAC addresses were connecting to my Wireless network. If the person notices you, next time you decided to use his wireless internet watch out for your neighbor and his Baseball Bat. Going door to door and asking who's wireless connection that is, would be the best thing for you to do. Also, you could ask your neighbor if it was OK for you to connect on his wireless internet sometimes given that you don't abuse it. Some people might be nice about it and let you.

The odds are either they don't care if you use it or that they have not a clue.(most likley not a clue) You have three choices really 1) you can just let it be 2) you can sniff there info and inform them (may be hard to explain how you found them) 3) you could inform the isp that 123.123.123.123 has an unsecured wireless... and could you please inform them...if you pick three definetly use a an anonymous remailer as they may try to come down on you as there are all sorts of idiots out there. It really is a hard choice as 3 may be a waste of time, 2 is kinda naughty , and 1 some one else may take malicious advantage of the situation. hmmmmmm
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

im pretty good friends with my neighbors so i dont think any of them will come down on me.

If you're good friends, then my best advice for you is to Let them know of their vulnerable wireless, and at the same time ask them if you could use it sometimes. .

Take care bud.

ill do that, thanx