Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does one increase VIRTUAL MEMORY?

How does one increase VIRTUAL MEMORY?

I have no clue what virtual memory is, but i know im running real low of it.
    My system increases it a little, my question is, can i increase it manually? Do i need to change something or delete stuff?
    P#33r Iz @# MyNd Ki||3r

Banned
    You can buy RAM ?

Antionline Herpetologist
    When you're running low on actual RAM, the Operating System (Windows in your case, I'm assuming), treats part of your hard disk as RAM. The problem with this system is that 1. A hard disk is a heck of a lot slower than RAM and 2. If the drive being used for virtual memory runs out of disk space then it'll give you this error. Tell me what OS you're using and I'll tell you how to solve the problem.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

AO French Antique News Whore
    He's using Windows 98 or 95. Windows Nt family doesn't go low on virtual memory. Go in your Control Panel, System, Performance and Virtual Memory and have fun.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Antionline Herpetologist
    SDK, yes it does. I've had it happen to me a few times. And I'm running windows xp with 256 megs of RAM. If another user or two are logged on and you start a memory intensive application like a game, you can run out of virtual memory.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Im running Windows 2000
    P#33r Iz @# MyNd Ki||3r

For windows 2000
    Open System in Control Panel.
    On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and under Virtual memory, click Change.
    In the Drive list, click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
    Under Paging file size for selected drive, type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set

And for windows Xp users

Open System in Control Panel.
    On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
    On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
    Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
    Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
    If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Low Virtual Memory on Windows 2000? Hmm. I use to Run Windows 2000 with 64 mg flawless in june 2002. The New SP need more memory?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by SDK
    Low Virtual Memory on Windows 2000? Hmm. I use to Run Windows 2000 with 64 mg flawless in june 2002. The New SP need more memory?
    Several things dictate the usage of virtual memory and how much you have. On your machine you may have never needed more than 64MB, however that seems unlikely. It was quite possibly your HDD space. A lot of people these days install Windows on a partition that is limited in size adn then install everything on a second partition. Be default Windows creates the swap/page file on %systemdrive%. If this partition is small, you will run into Virtual memory problems as you install service packs, patches and other things that take up the remaining space on this drive. Another problem that people run into is that they modify their virtual memory settings and set them at static settings which aren't enough to suit their needs.

Regal Making Handler
    I notice that all of the replies to this post, so far, are from senior members and as such imho. I would think that they are quite knowledgable about computers and how they work. Whilst i would agree with the advice and instructions given i would just like to say this.

Messing with vertual ram and paging files can lead to unexpected results and i would sugest that, if you don't no what you are doing fully to leave well alone. And although it pains me to say it let windows manage it.

At the very least if you must change settings learn how to recover from a system that will not boot.

Just my opinion

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry