Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: packets

packets

Can anyone tell me how to constuct and send packets manualy.
    thx

Interesting question, and just why would you want to do that?

You should first do some research on TCP/IP, packets, etc., otherwise you wouldn't understand what we were talking about.

There is a wealth of info at this site so you could start your research here and of course use www.google.com.

Happy studying

you can goto http://www.engagesecurity.com
    they have a great program callled packet builder thats free

you can manullay construct any type of packet you like, but like relyt said
    if you do not understand tcp/ip you might not get that much use out of it
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger -- Friedrich Nietzche

How do you manually construct packets. Get a vampire and clamp it onto your network cable, then start sending electronic pulses down it (on and off) in the right sequence to build a packet.

Your question is to vague. What operating system, what type of packet, what is it's use. There are several packet builders out there for every OS... the one that S3cur|ty4ng31 mentioned is decent for Windows, there are also several other ports.

At the heart of the question though, the most likely approach that you will take is to learn a programming language. Learn c, c++, or some other language and create your own packets using the built in libraries and headers. It takes a lot of work, but at least you are doing it yourself.

Since i'm guessing this is another one of those questions from which no good can come, you will go with the first suggestion and download a canned packet builder.

Like Relyt said go out and learn something. Learn about Data, Segments, Packets, Frames and Bits, and how the OSI model relates to those. How do you know it's a packet you want to build and not a frame or a segment? Do you even know the difference? Go read a book, do some learning and search for your own solutions instead of trying to take the easy way out.

im sorry my question was very general but what i wanted was a very broad range of capablitys i want to be able to created different types of tcp\ip packets as well as ping packets manualy so that i could change headers and just have some fun seeing how computers on my lan will respond to getting differnt types of tcp\ip packets
    ping is udp right? will the same program let me do both
    and if a computer gets a ping witha spoofed header it will associate that spoofed ip with the mac adress of the computer that sent it right?
    thx in advance for answereing these questions. i just want to try some stuff on my lan.

Ping is ICMP.

As for your spoofed headers, why don't you go test them yourself. See what the other computer sees. If we tell you, you are only going to forget, if you test it yourself then you will see the results.

You can actually spoof the MAC to with Packet Builder. Its actually a really good program to learn with and you do seem to know some of the basics not as previously thought. Its also very good to test you IDS with.

You can set it to use the real MAC and send with a spoofed IP. This is good for testing certain things too. I use it a lot to test snort, and I tested things similar to you and I built a preporcessor for snort that monitors for spoofed IP's. You can send a single packets too, which you cant really do with telnet so if your testing certain ports this is great.

Oh and ping is icmp.
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger -- Friedrich Nietzche

just a few more questions thx all fo the info has been great
    what is a good reference for learning c or c++? in dont want to be dependent on other people programs.
    how would i do it in telnet?
    thx sorry for all the questions.

Yes, HTRegz just about summed everything up for you that you will need to know...Go to www.firewall.cx and learn about the OSI Model, and I don't mean stare at it and pronounce the layers, be able to describe each layer from start to finish...I believe there are some tutorials on this site that others have written, and that you will find useful in your quest...Learn about how data is encapsulated and learn about decapsulation as well...Learn how routers deal with IP Addresses. Switches, bridges use MAC Addresses, and then that is encapsulated into bits...I can't exactly spoon feed you everything, and sorry if i confused you at all, but try going to the site I mentioned, it's a good site...Have fun
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Books: Teach yourself C by Herbert Schildt
    The Complete Reference C by Herbert Schildt

Teach yourself C++ by Herbert Schildt
    The Complete Reference C++ by Herbert Schildt

Beginining C by Ivor Horton
    Beginning C++ by Ivor Horton

/* Those are some on my favorites, but there are many others */

Cheers