Thread: Setting RedHat Network Configuration

Setting RedHat Network Configuration

Another question. During install RedHat wanted me to configure my network device. The Hostname option is by default set to "Set the hostname automatically via DHCP". I don't have a network set up, and don't plan on setting up an internet connection on RedHat right away. Do I need to change this option, leave it like it is, or does it not matter because of my lack of internet and a network?

its up to you. If you want to change it just edit /etc/sys or /etc/hostname (been a wile).
    If you want to change it when you have a net connection you will want to setup dns for this because some things like gnome will complane about the name confliction.... how far the blood lines are drawn im not sure....then again for this hole post I could be wrong. enjoy.
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

Since you have no DHCP server currently, it shouldn't be a problem right now. RedHat should default to some hostname, but I can't remember what that is. Anyttime you need to change the hostname, you can edit it in /etc/hostname like r3fus3d said. I believe DHCP configures the hostname directly from the /proc directory. I'd check, but I'm running Windows right now.

When you see [root@localhost]$, the localhost part is actually your hostname. I think that's actually what RedHat defaults to. The hostname can be changed on the fly without any problem locally while leaving /etc/hostname alone. And assuming you're on a residential dynamic connection, your hostname doesn't matter much to the outside world anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem if it's changed on the fly.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Okay, I think I'll leave it be. I don't really care what my hostname is, but since I don't have a "DHCP Server" (No idea ) I wanted to make sure leaving it would not cause a problem.

Thanks all.