Thread: APT, YUM, Synaptic and the like

Post APT, YUM, Synaptic and the like

Alright, guys...I'm back. Again. No, for real this time. I swear.

Okay, here's the deal:

I've been trying to get some NES emulators to work on my Linux machine, which was running Suse 9.0. I had failures with most of them, because they depended on packages which dependend on packes and so on until I was sick of it.

I finally found one Emulator from an RPMs website that should've worked with only one package install. I got it to work, except it said it still needed ATRpm >= 18. I installed their latest kick-start package, and I was surprised to see it still didn't work.

I downloaded APT to solve my problem, and THAT needed other packages, as well as YUM. Of course, Synaptic doesn't work without those packages.

When I installed Suse, I had nearly everything in there installed so as to avoid this sort of problem as much as possible. Yet it persists, although a few hundred packages, including some of the nicer ones, demanded to be included manually. ::Sigh:: So I skipped those that wouldn't be included with the rest of their groups.

I'm getting ready to install and check out Fedora (I figure its worth a shot atleast,) but if that doesn't work out I'll try Debian and possibly switch back to Suse.

Does anyone know exactly why I had this problem, and what I can do to solve it in the future? As soon as I get home I'll check on the package dependencies so that I can post those as well, perhaps I just missing one ginormous package...although the kick-start packages should have covered almost everything.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Dang its good to be back at AO!
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

If I were you I would just use wine and jnes and save yourself an assload of trouble. Plus you can do others the same way:

http://appdb.winehq.com/appbrowse.ph...809d9c8436d457

And as for the other,

I don't know if suse has an apt-get, or a urpmi, but you are probobly just installing the files wrong. I can't really help you on those packages because I have never used them. Sorry Son.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Wine is my last ditch option. As for installing them wrong, I don't see how. They're RPMs. "RPM -ivh" has always served me well.

Ah, well. ::Kicks the stupid snow, and begins to cry over the fact that he's snowed in. And stuck away from the Computer Show.:: ::SOB!::
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.