Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Africian?

South Africian?

There’s an article on Foxnews about a white boy whose family immigrated here from South Africa. His class mates nominated him to receive their schools outstanding African-American Student award. He and two of his classmates were suspended.

Now I don’t doubt that they had it coming for being wise asses but it sparks the question, at least in my mind, is a naturalized citizen from S. Africa an African-American no matter what their skin color?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,109309,00.html is the link.

I saw that earlier today and was pretty suprised that they got suspended. While not very politically correct, I honestly don't see where they deserve to be suspended over it...he was after all a legitimate African American. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but to me, it would seem that he would have a much more legitimate claim to being an African American that someone who comes from a family that has been through 3+ generations in America...regardless of color.

Dunno, I guess some people are just too sensitive about the topic.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Regal Making Handler
    I guess that the school didn't no that there are alot of white people living in Africa and if they came to live in the USA they would consider themselfes as afro american. But then the whole politicaly correct thing always pisses on someones fireworks.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    People who have actually lived in Africa before moving to the States, no matter how white, green or purple they are, deserve more to be called African-American than someone who's never lived there and is as black as tar.
    Color has nothing to do with it, imo...

But then again: double standards seem to be very common here in America when it comes to race/color/whatever.

I insist on my wife calling me Flemish-Belgian-European-American, btw.

myself i prefer to be called a "scottish-polish-american"

(i save everything then forget what i did with it)
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Martin Luther King stated the following:

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

From what I have of MLK's teachings, he would advocate this saying for all people and not differientiate this as a standard meant solely for black African-Americans.

Saying that the posters incited a hostile environment does not hold hold up to scrunity. For, as long as the protestors are not violent or spewing racial slurs, this is by law a peaceful protest. When you look at this logically and hold it up to the same standards that the school is using, it can be inferred that any award, event, or gathering, that calims to support African-American heritage or rights, can be viewed as inciting a hostile environment. This is true because these examples exclude all races except for black African-Americans, which could cause resentment or hatred towards the black African-American community, and because of these exclusionist practices could provoke a heightened emotional state that results in a physical manifestation of violence. I have not read anywhere in the United Stated Constitution that gives black African-Americans the right to be the sole victims of racial discrimination, as is the case here.

In my opinion this is a blatant example of ""repression of freedom of speech being displayed in our public school system, which needs to be corrected.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

I agree with neg , nebulus and Tedob. I have in fact met an african american who is white.

But.

What should the pc group call a dark skinned person from Europe? European American?
    You see how this gets silly fast. How about regardless of culture or color just call them plain old, American?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    myself i prefer to be called a "scottish-polish-american"

(i save everything then forget what i did with it)
    Lol...hmmm...that makes me an...Italian-Irish-German-English-American...

Or as my very good German friend calls me 'Mutt'

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Lol, and those are just the last few hundred years. I would wager we are all part arab-american.

RoadClosed
    if we really want to push the point we are all African. After all it is considered the cradle of mankind.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)