Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Points Suggestion??

Anti-Points Suggestion??

Hello to the group!! I just found this message board yesterday and joined up and now I already feel unwelcome. Here is my dilema. I posted a valid question in a Thread. To my dismay the next day I recieved 4 negative points because a User (I wont mention names) thinks that my posting in this thread is OLD????? Now normally I would not care, but I just joined this group. And a person can be banned from this group if he/she recieves to many negative points.

My Site Suggestion:
    Leave the Anti-points but do not allow a user to be banned because he/she gets too many points. That is what the site owners and moderators are for. To think that I could be banned because I posted in an old thread does not make sense. The thread was not even old. It started on 01/05/04 and there are many posts including one just a day before I posted. And as I mentioned earlier I just joined this group the very same day I had made my post. This thread is why I joined the group in the first place.

This is my site suggestion thanks for your time. Feel free to post your feelings. I would like to know what everybody else thinks.

TechBill

Anti points are necessary on AO. Do you have any idea how many people are on Ao? it would be a pretty tough job for the admins here to keep track of them. Dont' worry about it, AP's aren't that important. Whoever gave you those negs was probably jus being an ass. Just dont post stupidly and for the love of donuts, dont complain about AP asignments. they usualy just ge you more neg AP's.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Banned
    IF we didnt give out negs to let's say script kiddies and trolls then the boards would be flooding with stupid messages and flames, and we dont have enough mods to keep track of every forum 24/7. Thats where AP's get into play, we ban users instead of the admins. They can gain -300 AP's before getting banned, so there is a big chance to redeem themselves and get into the green again.

Ok I can see this point. Do you guys think I deserved these negative anti-points I recieved?
    TechBill

Well I personally dont think that you deserved the negative anti-points.

But there is something that we all forget at times and that is :
    We all make mistakes and I am no exception.

But on a side note welcome to AO.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Maybe I am overreacting. I pm'd the moderator and he wont remove the points. I just wanted to see what other people thought. I'll hang out for awhile. I appreciate the welcome
    Thanks and Best Regards,
    TechBill

And on a side note, starting a thread about antipoints, especially when you haven't even been here long enough to understand the benifit is like aiming a flame-thrower at your head...

I read your post.. and I can see no good reason why you were negged, but then again, someone has been negging threads for no good reason the past couple days anyway.

Ways to not lose antipoints:

Don't ask questions that have been asked 1000 times before. Use the AO search feature before you ask a question... I'd bet yor question has already been asked. If you can't find it here, search Google... then, if you still can't find it, or don't understand the information you have found, then ask.

If you don't know how to search for something, check out the searching related tutorials on this site. Often times people ask questions where all we need to do is cut out part of the question, paste it into Google, and Ta-daa...the first hit answers the question.

Avoid questions that have the following words in them; hacking, cracking, break-in, warez, pirate software, getting a serial number...etc. Sometimes there are perfectly legitimate reasons for using those words, but tread lightly.

Avoid practicing social engineering to get us to help you with illegal activities. Some of us are better at it than you are (my money is on gore personally)

Avoid posting one liners, ie; "lmao", "do what he said", "tru dat"

Avoid l33t 5p34k... it's annoying and not really all that clever.

Avoid posting about antipoints.

Avoid suggesting changes to a site when you have not even been here long enough to understand what everything is about.

Also keep in mind that you may be negged at any time for no good reason at all...it sucks, but it happens.

Try to treat others with respect. We all have our bad days, but we don't want to make a habit out of it.

Don't expect to get spoonfed all the answers. If you can't do the least little bit of research to help yourself, why should we help?

Welcome to AO

EDIT: Just found this link http://www.antionline.com/showthread...&postid=607725

EDIT 2: another Nascar fan

Banned
    You PM'd me and I told you I can't give you back antipoints, mods don't have that kind of power.

Developer Extraordinar
    My suggestion, what pruneing threads older than say 3 months into a forum that cannot be posted in, or givin' positive or neggative antipoints for, you shouldn't need to anyways.

Peace

MB

I appreciate everyones Input, Support. I have actually recieved enough points to put me in the green because of this thread. Maybe the person who gave me the neg points was just having a bad day like myself. Looking back on it now I feel like I may have overreacted a bit. I dont want to start any problems. I like this board and find lots of useful information here. Thanks again for all the support.
    Best Regards
    TechBill