Thread: sound device

sound device

alright so I guess I've concluded this forum is the right place to ask... if anyone's willing to lend some help it would be greatly appreciated. My old computer recently crashed so I've set up a new one. Now it has speakers the just plug right into the back of the terminal. Whenever I'm on Kazaa it won't play sound but if I go into Sound Settings in the control panel I can preview the sounds and hear them. Also, in Windows Media player if I try to play a song it comes up with an error message that says "The Sound Devices are not working. Either they are being used by another program, are not working properly, or are not installed". Is one related to the other. I really enjoy listening to music on the computer when I'm writing a paper for a class and such. Any help would greatly be appreciated although don't feel bad if you don't feel like helping, I know this problem is somewhat less than urgent; but irritation nonetheless. Thank you.

-Tyson

What do you see in Device Manager? Any errors?
    Tim Potts
    Network Analyst

Banned
    A friend of mine had a "similar" problem. I attached a program that should get rid of your problem. It's a zip file. Just run setup.exe when you extract it. It's about 2.29 MB's.

EDIT: Damn it's too big. If you want to you can IM me at "Morphix Borealis" and i'll send it to you or give me you e-mail adress and i'll send it as an attacment.

Its not clear in your post if you can get it to work at all. First of all, is your sound card detected? If its not, check BIOS and look at the On-Board Sound Card options. Make sure that it's enabled. You can get to BIOS by holding F2 right after you power on your computer.

On a few models, its F1, but F2 usually works.

Hope this helps!
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

Boy I'm stupid. My sound car was in fact not detected. Thank you for your tip Galen. Everything's working fine now.