Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP "OEM" questions??

XP "OEM" questions??

Forgive my ignorance here, but I have a few questions about the XP "OEM" version.

Ok, I am looking to buy XP, I have two choices, either buy on tigerdirect or go to the local CompUSA. I am looking at comp's website as well as tigers and it says Microsoft XP home is 199.99

However, tiger has a version called Microsoft XP "OEM" version and it's only 99.99

Here is a quote taken from the "OEM" version product description:

Licensing Information: You receive a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and a CD containing the program on it. This is a legal OEM version of Windows® licensed by Microsoft® to be sold with any "non-peripheral hardware component" and is bundled as such.

Technical Support Information: Since this is an OEM operating system it does not come with any free technical support. Telephone technical support is available through a paid service via a toll-free number and a charge per call. The phone number is included on your packing slip when you order.

*Returns policy: OEM software is not returnable for any reason.
    Does this simply mean that I can purchase this "OEM" version for 99.00 and simply do without the tech support or is there a lot more to it (besides not being able to return it)?

Cause if so, that would be good, because I don't need any tech support. Also, I would like to put this copy on two separate machines of mine. Does this mean I will have to purchase two XP copies or can I put this OEM version on both of them without any trouble (like it asking me for product activation and denying me since it may have seen the first one [that would suck because I just paid hard cash for it, but you never know] ) and would the regular 199.00 version of XP be any different pertaining to the same situation of putting it on two boxes?

Banned
    Q. What is an OEM Version of Windows?

A. OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer = a company that makes/markets computers (and parts), etc. which include parts made by other companies, and not the “original” manufacturer as OEM implies, just masquerading as one. Licenses of OEM versions of Windows, etc. software are sold to computer manufactures for installation on new computers. They are full versions of Windows. They are widely available on the "grey market" and Internet and cost considerably less than retail full versions. Just be careful not to purchase a pirated copy.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/oem.htm

MemorY, does that still mean I can put them on two seperate machines without any trouble or would I have to purchase another copy? The last thing I want is to get home, slap the copy on the first box, and then have the next box say: "this product has already been activated". Will it allow me to activate the copy more than once? Cause when I went to activate XP (that came with my Dell, dumb move) on my new mobo it said "this copy was set to only be activated once" (or something to that effect, which leads me to believe that other copies will allow more than one activation [I just don't know which]).

I have only had experience with Dell's that already came with XP and I know for sure if you use the Windows copy that Dell provides it will only work with the Dell boards. This is why I am purchasing this new copy of XP to begin with.

Sucks, but that's what I got for being a newbie and not building it on my own like I did just recently (highly recommend).

Also, thanks for digging up that info for me.

You will have to buy another copy to install on more than one machine.

when I build computers, all I use is OEM, because its cheaper, I never need tech support anyway.

Like memory said, when you buy a OEM, you just dont' get any free tech support thats all.

I'd get the OEM software.
    =

Well, that settles that. Thanks for replying guys.

Just one more question................. At least with the 199.99 version I could call Microsoft and ask them to provide me with activation for my family computers (within the house [at least that's what I heard that guy of thescreensavers say one time]) right? If that were so, then it just might be worth it no??

Sorry for the abundance of questions.

.dublix

i have an oem and i have it installed on multiple computers and it works fine
    it should not matter unless like u install it on a few hundred commputers

I haven't done it but from my understanding, you can purchase an OEM copy of XP pro from places like newegg.com for dirt cheap (30 bucks?) as long as you buy another piece of hardware along with it.

ust one more question................. At least with the 199.99 version I could call Microsoft and ask them to provide me with activation for my family computers (within the house [at least that's what I heard that guy of thescreensavers say one time]) right? If that were so, then it just might be worth it no??
    anything to do with activation, microsft wont' charge you. Even if it is OEM software.

They'll charge you if you buy OEM software then call and tell them you need help with settings.
    =

Thanks jenjen and smokey.

Cheyenne, where do you usually buy your OEM software, and are you getting XP cheaper than 99.99? If you don't mind me asking of course. lol

.dublix

Hi, dublix.. forgive me, I guess I was wrong about thaT 30 dollar figure.

I searched newegg and found it's $91.00 "*Must be Purchased with Hardware!!* "
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM

But over at pricewatch I found it (doesn't say sp1 'tho) for about 75 dollars.. not a lot of detail given but have a look pricewatch, go halfway down the page